Is now the time to fill one corner in?

Post your questions to the club here and will aim to get you an answer. Question about the stadium, the shop etc etc.

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Is now the time to fill one corner in?

Postby dand77 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:22 am

This season there were 3 occasions when we could of sold a lot more than our current away capacity allows. If Wolves get relegated, Sheffield United don't win the play offs and add to that Port Vale being promoted, Coventry, Walsall, Preston, Crewe(If doing well) and possibly Bradford coming up we could see in excess of 1500 vistors eight times next season. I'm not sure how much a corner would cost to be created but long term it would be a wise investment if we stay in this division.
dand77

Re: Is now the time to fill one corner in?

Postby shrewsbury11 » Sun May 05, 2013 2:54 pm

If so i would hope it to be a terrace to give the ground a bit more character and improve the atmosphere.
shrewsbury11

Postby Matt_ » Sun May 05, 2013 9:31 pm

Didn't Roland Wycherley say that filling in two corners would cost around £1million in his interview last summer?

If that's the case the club have a lot better things to spend their money on just at the moment in my opinion.
Matt_

Postby dand77 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 pm

One corner 500k probably worth it long term, would give us an extra 6-700 away seats x £15 a head = 14000 x 5 times it will be sold out Wolves, Walsall, Port Vale, Coventry and Sheffield Utd £70k+. Would pay for itself if we ever got in the championship.
dand77

Postby Matt_ » Sun May 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Firstly it would require planning permission which makes having it in place for next season very unlikely and unrealistic. It would need to be designed by an architect, designs put forward to planners for approval etc before any build could even be considered.

Secondly, even at £500,000 that is a very substantial part of the budget. Give or take the odd hundred thousand the club turnover around £4million, 60% of which can then be spent on wages next season. I don't see where else this £500,000 would suddenly come from.

To take £500,000 out of the budget when there are clearly far more important things to focus on, i.e. squad strenthening, would be a crazy decision in my opinion and rightly leave the club open to ridicule should we struggle on the field having spent 20%-25% of our wage budget on filling in a corner of the stadium.

If we get to the Championship is the time to consider this is my opinion. The work could then be justified due to the large increase in TV revenue received after such a promotion, i.e. in excess of an additional £3million per season in comparison to League 1.
Matt_

Postby ianwhit » Mon May 06, 2013 10:20 am

I would guess in the short term a better bet would be to expand the hospitality? If your business plan is to expand the seating for 5-6 games which would bring in say 500 x £19 (no idea why you are dropping the admission prices to £15?) for the rest of the season that would be unused. If you expanded the hospitality and boxes then that would give you extra income for all games at a higher return, as well as more conferencing space that could be used 365 days a year.
ianwhit
Site Admin

Postby dand77 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:12 pm

ianwhit wrote:I would guess in the short term a better bet would be to expand the hospitality? If your business plan is to expand the seating for 5-6 games which would bring in say 500 x £19 (no idea why you are dropping the admission prices to £15?) for the rest of the season that would be unused. If you expanded the hospitality and boxes then that would give you extra income for all games at a higher return, as well as more conferencing space that could be used 365 days a year.

£15 is average taking in OAP's and kids into account, surely building that corner would include hospitality expansion and possible other facilities also along with 500 plus seats.
dand77

Postby clive » Mon May 06, 2013 7:02 pm

it would need someone new on the board with funds to fill the corners in while we waste money on the hospitality side which is a pet love of the chairman as long as we remain in div 1 our ground is ok ,but we are no way big enough for the championship where i know at barnsley they on the leagues smallest budget need 12000 to break even and visiting teams would on a regular basis want to bring 3000 to 5000 fans something we could not handle we cant survive at a higher level with the ground we have so lets just enjoy what we have league one
clive

Postby Davidski » Tue May 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Got to agree with the last post, lets get established in League 1 first before thinking about filling a corner in. The final league position this season flattered to deceive and could easily have been relegated if results elsewhee had not been so kind over the last 6 games or so.

Get the logo sorted out first and bring back the Logerheads I say....
Davidski

Return to Questions to the club