The RW Stand

Post your questions to the club here and will aim to get you an answer. Question about the stadium, the shop etc etc.

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

The RW Stand

Postby dand77 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:01 pm

I have never understood why executive boxes don't span all the way across the stand, rather than have empty seats and seats with a limited view. Surely it would make sense to reduce capacity and do this as the club has only sold over 9,000 tickets once since the stadium was opened and then is was 4-500 short of capacity. If this was done it would surely make more money for the club long term?
dand77

Re: The RW Stand

Postby petros » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:49 pm

I wonder if there is a two part solution.

Firstly for the Club to fill in the corner adjacent to Block 1 with a boutique hotel owned by and operated(?) by the Club and at the same time extend the Executive Boxes along the back of Blocks 1 and 2.

Rooms in the Hotel overlooking the pitch can double up as Executive Boxes on match days as they do at Bolton and Blackpool.
petros

Postby schizo » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:33 pm

A hotel wouldn't be a bad idea, not sure how successful the hotel at the Bucks Head is but hotels adjoining football grounds is becoming more common and we have the space to do it....
schizo

Postby ianwhit » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 pm

For Executive boxes to span the whole of the stand you would need the infrastructure behind them i.e. not just stick an extra 12 or so boxes each side on what is the 2nd floor of the main building.
ianwhit
Site Admin

Postby dand77 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:54 pm

Whenever I go to reserve games I always look at this option, can't see why on earth it would cost so much money, ok the boxes may not be as spacious as the central ones but dropping the disabled area down a few rows and spanning boxes all the length of that stand is not going to take a lot of doing. I worked in the building trade over 12 years on some heavy construction(factories, shopping centres etc and wouldn't cost as much as some think and long term it would be a wise investment. I'd certainly do this before filling in the corners, if the club ever needed to expand capacity then I imagine it would be cheaper to drop the pitch 6-8ft and stick 5 or 6 shallower rows in front of each stand before filling any corners in.
dand77

Postby ianwhit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:26 pm

You'd also have to take into consideration whether the existing toilet facilities and kitchen/catering would be adequate to service these new executive boxes, existing ones can hold 12. If you drop down the disabled area would need to think where the access would be? It would also take out about 6 rows of the back of the family stand.
ianwhit
Site Admin

Postby dand77 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:51 am

I see the point, but I think it long term it would be a wise investment as we are never going to be a big club that can't completely sell out the stadium even when we win promotion. A bigger club shop or a hotel or a supporters social club(with snooker tables, darts, pool and football teams to represent it joined on to the stadium could be a way that this gets made to happen. This could be done the North East side/clubshop side of the stadium but it all costs money so who knows.
dand77

Postby ianwhit » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 pm

With the Brooklands looking like its closing does that show there is no need for a pub with pool, sky etc in that part of town?
ianwhit
Site Admin

Postby clive » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:00 pm

ianwhit wrote:With the Brooklands looking like its closing does that show there is no need for a pub with pool, sky etc in that part of town?

i dont know if you went to donny ian there are 2 pubs less than 5 mins walk from the ground yet both were mostly empty as fans of both sides in ther hundreds packed the social club for a pie and a pint and watch the sky football
the fans of shrewsbury deserve a social club which if run properly would be full most nights i feel its only the chairman blocking it worried about hiseast stand profits i cant think of another club in the football league without a supporters club bar ,
clive

Postby stushrew » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:38 pm

clive wrote: would be full most nights

Althight I would like to see a bar at the ground I really dont think it would draw many people except on match days which would make it very hard to be financially viable. One busy day every week or 2 is not a good business proposal for anyone as the Brooklands seems to have found out. The Darwin is in a large housing estate which would supplement match day takings and even the Meole estate locals had no interest in drinking locally so it seems.

The ground is miles outside of a town which has vast amounts of pubs for people to go between. I dont think enough people would want to go that far out just to sit in one pub all evening - just my opinion but everyone I know moves from pub to pub.
stushrew

Postby ianwhit » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:42 am

clive wrote:
ianwhit wrote:With the Brooklands looking like its closing does that show there is no need for a pub with pool, sky etc in that part of town?

i dont know if you went to donny ian there are 2 pubs less than 5 mins walk from the ground yet both were mostly empty as fans of both sides in ther hundreds packed the social club for a pie and a pint and watch the sky football
the fans of shrewsbury deserve a social club which if run properly would be full most nights i feel its only the chairman blocking it worried about hiseast stand profits i cant think of another club in the football league without a supporters club bar ,

Clive, if there was profit in it for the club then I can assure you the chairman would be all over it :) Matchday can be just 23 days out of a year, you would have to have use out of a bar for the rest of the week to make it profitable.
ianwhit
Site Admin

Postby dand77 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:25 pm

Ok so what if a sports hall type building was erected which had tempor ary seating which could be erected inside it for boxing events, Wrestling, MMA, Snooker, Pro Darts etc. In winter could be used for indoor training sessions, on a matchday can be used as a big supporters bar along with hire for weddings and other functions?
dand77

Return to Questions to the club