fleetwood game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

fleetwood game

Postby zenfootball » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:51 am

with many of the promotion playing teams playing each other it will be interesting to see how the results pan out by the end of the day.
Town face Fleetwood another baseline to measure how we have improved,Uwe Rosler is a very astute and tactically aware manager and last season his team easily contained town so let us hope we give them a lot more headaches this time round. i would expect to see him put five across the midfield and try to stop us playing wide and force us to go down the center or go for the long ball.against Bristol we used the width, speed of the wingers and switched play to find some room all of which the Fleetwood team will work hard at not letting us play that way.we will not be given time on the ball as they tend to press hard.
saying that they have won 2 drawn 2 and lost 1 of the last five games, there defense has not been so tight this year they have score 23 goals and conceded 22 ,there worst result was a 4-1 defeat to Portsmouth so they are beatable Hurst will have to find a way to do it ,they might even try a Plymouth on us and hit us on the break. they are good at set pieces so town need to work on cutting out the silly challenges in the last twenty yards something we do far too often.
zenfootball

Re: fleetwood game

Postby zenfootball » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:51 pm

the top 12 teams are all playing each other today
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:33 pm

not surprisingly the strong winds had an impact on the game
fleetwood came to stifle us and hope to score on the break ,today we ground out a result in the first half whilst we had a lot of possession we did not really trouble there keeper and did not create many chances.most of fleetwoods chances came from a mixture of defensive errors and sloppy passing .Henderson fast reactions saved town from going behind.
whilst toto made some vital challenges and headers ,his overconfidence in the last third nearly got us in trouble in the last third. too often town looked to walk it in the goal or a poor pass in the last third broke up play.
the team really worked for each other and we did create more chances in the second half the fleetwood keeper was the more busy ,whilst whalley worked hard far too many of his crosses and passes went astray.
a source of concern is brown injury he looked to have twisted something and appeared to be in a lot of pain , just as if it looked as if we were heading for a draw a phenomenal header from Toto gave us a valuable three points . town have to learn how to break down teams who come to play negatively and this is work in progress .
i hope Browns injury is not as serious as it looked.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:12 pm

no wonder henderson is such a favorite with town fans his exuberant goal celebrations makes me smile.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:15 pm

this is a quote from Hurst's post match interview
"The team that was trying to win the game finally did in the end."
meanwhile in L a La the Fleetwood manger believed they deserved a point ,after setting up his team in such a negative way it was poetic that we finally beat them.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Possession
Home61%Away39%
Shots
Home12Away1
Shots on Target
Home7Away0
Corners
Home6Away2
Fouls
Home8Away11
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:00 pm

I felt more elation after that win than against Bristol Rovers.
Setting up your side to get a 0-0 or a 1-0 win on the breakaway is a perfectly legitimate tactic and I thought Fleetwood did it pretty well. But it doesn't make for much of a game and their time-wasting was cynical and unnecessary. It's ridiculous of Rossler to say they didn't deserve to lose and that we didn't deserve to win. They deserved to lose because although they tried really hard not to concede, they failed. We deserved to win because we tried to (taking Bolton off and replacing him with Payne is evidence of that) and we succeeded - that's how football works. So Toto's terrific late header was just so, so sweet!
Isn't it great to have a goalie who inspires confidence, a centre back pairing like Toto and Sadler and Jon Nolan (who had an off day to be fair but has been a massive signing)
So now we are one third of the way through the season, unbeaten and 10 (that's TEN!) points above third place. I still reckon Wigan will will the league but who is going to finish second? Do we dare dream yet?
After 15 games last year we had 10 points, we'd lost 9 and had a goal difference of -13. We had just lost 2-4 at home to Northampton and Mickey Mellon left. We were bottom of the table.
After 15 games this year we have 37 points, we've won 11 games and lost 0, we've just beaten our bogey team and Paul Hurst leads our Barmy Army. We are TOP of the table.
It's GRREEAATT!!!
One worry, of course, is how badly hurt Junior Brown is. Here's hoping
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:49 pm

lazchamp wrote:I felt more elation after that win than against Bristol Rovers.
Setting up your side to get a 0-0 or a 1-0 win on the breakaway is a perfectly legitimate tactic and I thought Fleetwood did it pretty well. But it doesn't make for much of a game and their time-wasting was cynical and unnecessary. It's ridiculous of Rossler to say they didn't deserve to lose and that we didn't deserve to win. They deserved to lose because although they tried really hard not to concede, they failed. We deserved to win because we tried to (taking Bolton off and replacing him with Payne is evidence of that) and we succeeded - that's how football works. So Toto's terrific late header was just so, so sweet!
Isn't it great to have a goalie who inspires confidence, a centre back pairing like Toto and Sadler and Jon Nolan (who had an off day to be fair but has been a massive signing)
So now we are one third of the way through the season, unbeaten and 10 (that's TEN!) points above third place. I still reckon Wigan will will the league but who is going to finish second? Do we dare dream yet?
After 15 games last year we had 10 points, we'd lost 9 and had a goal difference of -13. We had just lost 2-4 at home to Northampton and Mickey Mellon left. We were bottom of the table.
After 15 games this year we have 37 points, we've won 11 games and lost 0, we've just beaten our bogey team and Paul Hurst leads our Barmy Army. We are TOP of the table.
It's GRREEAATT!!!
One worry, of course, is how badly hurt Junior Brown is. Here's hoping

totally agree lazchamp
it is staggering how different a season we are having and my dread at the start of the season,when you look at the comparison of the 15 games it is truly staggering .
zenfootball

Return to General Chat