Bristol Rovers

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Bristol Rovers

Postby zenfootball » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:15 pm

a tough home game after two below par performances by town, in the past we would have been delighted with two away draws but against Walsall our midfield unperformed, against Plymouth we lacked the guile to break down a packed final third the goal we conceded was more like last seasons defense as the Plymouth players waltzed virtually unchallenged. past four players to score. Bristol know were the net is they have scored three goals a few times and there best result a six goal thrashing of Northampton . if we are to be a promotion chasing team we will need to get back to winning ways. unbeaten is nice but so are wins and more goals.if that is to happen we do need to work out how to break down teams who pack the midfield.
let us hope our defense do not switch off and Bristol rovers leave there scoring boots behind as we face another test next against Fleetwood.

Darren Handley is the ref he seems to like red cards so players need to cut out the silly challenges that give so many free kicks away
zenfootball

Re: Bristol Rovers

Postby Bluedog » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:47 pm

You are right about the ref,Brown will need to watch it as he is already on 4 yellow cards.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 pm

the first half performance was the kind of football you dream your team can play and mostly dont,a combination of winning 90% of the fifty fifty balls,pressurizing bristol all over the park, lightning fast counter attack, one touch football,and clinical finishing combined to have a half time score of 4-0.
three of the goals came from counter attacks , everyone was outstanding the work rate on and off the ball was phenomenal, taking nothing from that half the bristol defense looked weak especially down the left side and the keeper should have done better . the only time they opened town up was early in the first half with a diagonal ball Henderson was alert to the danger and came out fast to clear the ball

town went down a few gears in the second half and if was been picky over complicated things at times and did not have the same intensity as the half progressed they looked content to try and keep a clean sheet towards the end of the game Bristol had a few shoots on target.been top is not a priority for me as there are a lot of games left but we are making rapid progress to 60 points and certain safety and then see how we get on.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foot ... ees-643267

a fair report
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:40 pm

only Wigan have conceded less goals than town
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:50 am

i was amazed that Rovers did not bring on any subs till the second half ,the whole team were immense but we really used the width of the pitch and switched play from side to side to exploit the space, i suspect the coaching staff had influenced the tactics as town focused a lot of pressure down the right wing. i think this was Rodman best game his goal was clinical he cut in and opened up the team, Whalley ran himself into the ground both tackled back,Nolan just ran the midfield, in the first half Rovers were set up in a way that town could play to there strengths.
in the second half they changed shape and put more players across the midfield but town just took there foot of the gas and controlled the game, it was only in the last few minutes did they have some shoots on target, there number 9 made a nuisance of himself and looked a threat but at time he was very isolated.
any teams who think town were a one hit wonder will sit up and take notice of this game and should revise there opinion.
Fleetwood will not be so generous with time or space
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:36 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_tXZMl-N58

i hope this works goals, interviews with both managers ,i thought Darrell Clarke was very honest and at times who would be a manager. some key quotes " cut through us like butter and opened us up and punished us.
i will admit i had doubts about Hurst but i am very happy to be proven wrong , he has a real humility and is very good at just been sensible about our prospects
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45 pm

you look at browns goal and i cant but help think has he got some invisible jet pack how on earth can he jump so high, how can he out jump players who are a lot taller than him and he does this on a regular basis. if i was a bristol rovers fan i would feel the keeper should have saved one and the second goal was a foul as Morris appeared to leaver himself above the defender amazed the rovers players did not appeal.
just nice to get to view such football and last season so many decisions went against us perhaps it is karma.
zenfootball

Return to General Chat