Scunthorpe game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Scunthorpe game

Postby zenfootball » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:41 am

town face fifth place scunthorpe who have drawn four games and only conceded a total of 3 goals whilst winning 5 and losing only 1 game , this would suggest they have a very organized defense and are hard to break down ,there has been a few posts about town not scoring enough well scunthorpe have scored 11 goals and town 15 so i cant imagine this will be a high score line and will probably be settled by one goal so who scores first could influence how this game goes.
Sunthorpes Duane Holmes is an american midfielder and he has scored three goals this season which is nearly 25$ of there goals so we need to keep an eye on him ,the dutch forward Kevin van veen can be a handful and could cause us problems he has score 80 goals in four season Scunthopre turned down a £4 million pound offer from a Chinese club as scunthorpe value him at £8 million!!.he has only played 130 minutes this season let us hope he has left his scoring boots at home

towns defense looked vulnerable without Godfrey playing in his defensive midfield role , i wonder will Hurst stick with the change's up front for Doncaster? Town really must cut down the amount of free kicks they give away in dangerous areas. i am sure we will have a good crowd.
zenfootball

Re: Scunthorpe game

Postby zenfootball » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:53 pm

town just keep rolling on , Henderson made a vital early save Nolan dragged his shot wide , till town scored i thought scunthorpe were edging things, through a mixture of pressing all over the park and numerous off the ball fouls which the useless ref failed to pick up , they were falling down over all over the park and the ref bought most of them there number 12 was the worst offender and after nolans booking was doing his best to get him booked, i was dreading the giving them a penalty
Payne determination scored a real poachers goal .i did not feel town were firing on all cylinders in the first half.
Town got a grip on the game in the second half and started to create more chances , Henderson saved a free kick Morris was clinical in his finishing to put this in a safer place, i appreciate scoring a volley is a technically hard things to to do but Whalley horrible sliced the ball with an open goal in front of him, thought we should have had a penalty when payne got fouled .
think this was the worst ref this season.
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:57 am

The stats suggest that Scunny marginally had the edge in this game (possession, shots, corners all in their favour) but of course Town had the only stat that matters! We seem to have become a team that can grind out a result even when not at our best. I thought Nolan was a bit below par and only looked dangerous when he got angry towards the end - mainly due to their cheating bar steward No 12 - and was sensibly substituted when he looked like he might have been heading for a second yellow. Some excellent blocks from Henderson; Godfrey superb again. I'm beginning to think having Whalley and Rodman both starting is a bit of a luxury. I'm having my doubts about Whalley - sure, he's quick and direct and looks a threat but he runs into a wall too often. We looked a different side going forward when Morris came on and what a nice goal he scored. I'd have liked to see Gnahoua get a run after his heroics on Tuesday.

Anyway, fantastic result. This season is just ridiculous. I just hope we can turn over Walsall next weekend. We can lose after that, I shan't care!

And agreed, Zen, the ref was shocking!

Slightly disappointed with the crowd - I thought we might get 6,500 or so but it was a miserable damp day.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:35 pm

i agree with you %150 about Walsall lazchamp i was a bit suprised not see a bigger crowd but it was there loss
after seeing the smug faces of the walsall fans at the end of the game far too many times, i would love to just wipe that expression off there face preferably with a Payne hat trick, i am starting to get greedy just dont wont this experience to end it is like someone who had been lost in a desert and suddenly you are in an oasis
someone told me they thought the Scunthorpe number 12 had punched payne"?
well the front line for Doncaster game does show we do have other options with Payne morris and rodman , it did not work with Dodds instead of Gardner as Dodds is an attacking midfielder and our defense need Gardner
zenfootball

Return to General Chat