Southend game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Southend game

Postby zenfootball » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:12 am

town face Southend after a very high tempo game against Wigan.
it would be a serious mistake to underestimate southend ,they may be 17th with 2 losses and 3 draws but a 5 -0 thrashing by Rotheram distorts there goal difference .
but last season they finished 7th and the bulk of the squad is the same phill brown is an experienced manager they currently have 8 players injured and are about to sign a midfielder from the Gills so the impact of the injuries on a small squad has probably been significant.they only lost by a one goal to Charlton one of the hot favorites for promotion.
they are very dangerous from set pieces and have some players who are good in the air.
will Whalley be fit he went off limping and will Hurst wont to rest any players after such a physical game ?if we are to keep moving in the right direction town will need to replicate the same level of intensity and consistency

considering we have Ben Godfrey - Loan untill end of Jan (From Norwich) i would hope Hurst is making every effort to extend his loan ,unless you watch him
when he drops deep as a defensive midfielder almost in a sweeper role it is not always obvious what a huge impact he has on nullifying attacks
zenfootball

Re: Southend game

Postby Bluedog » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Now we are top every team will have more incentive to want to knock us off our perch. i'm sure our players will expect that.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:44 pm

Bluedog wrote:Now we are top every team will have more incentive to want to knock us off our perch. i'm sure our players will expect that.

absolutely agree Bluedog
i still feel a sense of disbelief and that it is all a dream and i am going to wake up, if it is a dream it is a very nice and rather overdue one.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:14 pm

town were electrifying in the first ten minutes only a finger tip save from the southend keeper denied town a lead. Payne showed a burst of pace and hit the post and southend were creaking. possibly cynically on my part but within a short space of time two Southend players went down in my view tactically to disrupt the play.
Nolan showed composure to get his first goal . town went of the boil as the first half progressed and in the last 8 minutes southend got in the game . Payne went off presumably with an injury and Lewis came on. the main thing missing from the first half was a second town goal.

town were a source of there own problems with some sloppy passes , unnecessary challenges that gave free kicks in dangerous areas and players switching off in our own third.
with Brown and Rodman booked ,Southend focused a lot of there attacks down the right side combined with the long ball , nolan and lewis had chances by 70 minutes Riley looked dead on his feet and a number of town players looked leggy .Nolan went off holding his hamstring and went straight down the tunnel .the second half was not pretty but we won. the injuries is a source of concern Bolton was not on the subs bench so is he injured as well?
Town are starting to get the winning habit
zenfootball

Return to General Chat