Wigan game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Wigan game

Postby zenfootball » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:58 am

Town play an unbeaten Wigan after been relegated to league one i would imagine the club and the fans will be hoping to bounce right back up .the bookies are giving odds of 9/1 for promotion , how quickly things change from firm favorites to be relegated town are now 33/1 to be promoted
wigan fans were allegedly singing “Que sera sera…..whatever will be will be….we’re going to Shrewsbury….que sera sera” as they were been relegated .
you would imagine there is a significant difference in the wage bill and spending power of Wigan

town have started the season with three outstanding performances,im sure i am not alone in been pleasantly surprised by the transformed Shrewsbury town, even channel five were signing there praises.the one area that had not been thoroughly tested was our defense, over the season the ideal is to win at home and try to draw on your travels, if we are to not spend the season looking over our shoulder . a crucial factor over the season is consistency been clinical in front of goal and clean sheets.
town are creating chances and we are scoring goals( both of which we struggled with for some time) we have won the last two games even though we did not play for the whole 90 minutes. we know from past seasons what happens when that occurs. Hurst has voiced his displeasure about this after both games.it makes no sense to be leading and then come out for the second half and just switch off.whilst our defense is a lot better than last year when they were put under pressure they looked wobbly the main concerns was how both Brown and Bolton were turned and the Gills got behind our center backs and how they were not picking up the diagonal runs, they did look tighter when Godfrey drooped deep .
so let us hope can sort it out in the training room it only requires some minor fine tuning . lots to celebrate lots of reasons to be cheerful. second in the table and only separated by goal difference .
if we are to get something from this game town need to give 120% and play for the whole 90 minutes ,town have scored 8 goals and conceded 2 , wigan have scored 8 and conceded 2. Wigan have played one game less than town. this will be towns toughest test and a benchmark of how we compare against one of the better teams and a bookie favorite to go up.we will get less chances and must make the most of the ones we do get.
zenfootball

Re: Wigan game

Postby zenfootball » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:16 am

i would imagine that Henderson will be first choice for this game.sadly Niall Ennis has a knee injury that will put him out of action for 6 months and morris out for at least two weeks town are looking a bit thin in the forward dept
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:25 pm

town held there own in a very intense high tempo end to end game.Nolan broke free to give Rodman a great chance his shot went wide ,Whalley curling shoot hit the bar , Nolan was just pure quality, Godfrey cut out so many passes and broke up a lot of attacks, Hurst has managed to install a sense of self belief with a team who want to play want to win and compete in all areas. Payne had a a real battle with there number 33 he worked incredibly hard i am very glad to eat humble as Payne proves me wrong in all areas and SCORES again 1-0, the whole team worked incredibly hard on and off the pitch .Toto went postal with Bolton after one of his errors he was waving three fingers all of which could have led to a goal. in the first half Wigans number 17 bossed Bolton and turned him inside out both Toto and Godfrey bailed him out.we need to bear in mind he has come up a number of divisions and he was playing against a very good player. against a quality team it was only in the last ten minutes for them to put town under any sustained pressure, town had a lot of very tired players i hope Whalley is ok he took a number of clattering tackles and he did limp off.Henderson showed his football brain in the way he slowed the game down to give town some breathing spaces , he made a good save from a free kick and us it not great to have a keeper come out and catch corners
Late in the game let us be greatfull that Toto did not make contact with a potential leg breaking tackle i think it would have been red as i think he already had a yellow
whilst i know it is part of the modern game i hate players trying to use pester power to get decisions and my pet hate is players trying to get another a yellow card.
town deserved this win.
i sit in block 15 and the linesman was totally useless .
Last edited by zenfootball on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:24 pm

when you look at how even the stats are does seem to indicate a very close game , i know i am biased yes wigan have quality players and yes they had chances but town came closer to scoring a second goal, considering the way the last time we played them went this is a very good result.
my priority this season was not be relegated and if possible avoid a relegation battle.
i know it is far to early to get carried away but the ground was buzzing ,the crowd were vocal lots of happy fans before during and after the game and town are playing proper football.
zenfootball

Postby Bluedog » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:49 pm

A great game and result, but a long way to go jet, but i must admit a much better start to the season than i expected.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Bluedog wrote:A great game and result, but a long way to go jet, but i must admit a much better start to the season than i expected.

I agree Bluedog but it is a nice feeling to watch town play nice football and be at the right end of the table.
wigans managers view of the game

http://www.wigantoday.net/sport/footbal ... -1-8745836
zenfootball

Return to General Chat