Rochdale game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Rochdale game

Postby zenfootball » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:36 am

Rochdale will be keen to get some points on the table after getting one point out of there first two games,they splashed the cash by spending £104 k on left winger Jordan Williams from non league Barrow , most of the players they have signed have been defenders and midfielders, with a few loan players.

Town have made a positive start and this is not just the two wins , town have looked a very different team, they must have worked on there fitness in the pre-season as they work hard on and off the ball and this is paying dividends, they have real pace , against Wimbledon they showed some real one touch football to open them up.town have shown more tenacity across the midfield , Nolan seems to be the barometer for the team he has been hugely influential ( it wont take teams long to work this out and he may be given less freedom in the future) town look well drilled each player knows what he is supposed to do and they have kept there shape.
the questions that will take time to answer is can they maintain this consistency and level of fitness? the defense has not yet been put under any sustained pressure so we dont know how good they are?
areas to work on we need someone who can cross from set pieces , more composure and clinical finishing in front of goal and we could have won both game by at least three goals
after two dreary under performing seasons i had been slightly dreading this year so this has been a pleasant start, if we can keep this up we may win back some of the fans we have lost in recent years and get larger crowds at the meadow.
zenfootball

Re: Rochdale game

Postby zenfootball » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:39 pm

we have signed Stefan Payne for an undisclosed fee ,barley a mention on the Barnsley fans forum and a paragraph on the clubs site.
sometimes you should be careful what you wish for, i wanted another center forward and center back, instead we have Stefan Payne 2 goa'sl out of 12 games for town, unless he has had a miraculous transformation, we have signed and paid money for a player who has no pace , no first touch and cant head the ball, Hurst had blinkers on about him last year let us hope he has not been signed on a long contract
after starting with pace and using wingers i hope this does not mean we go to long ball, kick and hope and Payne playing lone player up front
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:42 pm

hurst has signed him for TWO years, why not one and the option of a second, to say i am underwhelmed is an understatement the car went blue when i heard this on the radio,
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:40 am

i hope i am proven wrong and that he has been transformed and scores a hat trick
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:46 pm

towns performance can be summed up with they showed resilience and tenacity.
town made the brighter start and pressed Rochdale ,when against the run of play an idiotic back pass from Rodman contributed to a penalty 0-1 .Town showed a good attitude they won a lot of the 50 - 50 balls ,they worked hard off an on the ball .Morris was on the edge of the box and opted for a shot were if he had looked up it would have been an easy tap in for Dodds , Rodmans nicely weighted cross was put in by Morris 1 - 1 , a Rochdale defender made an unnecessary and clumsy tackle and we were given a penalty , despite Rochdale one upmanship Walley kept his composure and placed the penalty out of the reach of the keeper 2 - 1 .town were back in charge as the ref blew for half time.

Rochdale made the better start , town got in the game i thought Rochdale were rather cynical and dirty , the ref missed so many fouls , i have no idea what was the reason for the Rochdale penalty 2 - 2 . a good save and a goalmouth clearance kept town in the game as towns defense wobbled briefly.

it is worth bearing in mind that Rochdale were pressing for promotion last season, they looked dangerous going forward as Town held there own and limited Rochdale chances.
A nice pass put Payne free on goal so he has a 100 % record one game one goal , i will happily eat humble pie if he can score regular goals .
three consecutive wins is a club record at this level as they had never achieved this feat in the third tier or above.
zenfootball

Postby Davidshrews » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:30 pm

Well done to the town on their 3-2 win against rochdale yesterday.
Davidshrews

Return to General Chat