northampton game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

northampton game

Postby zenfootball » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:21 pm

so welcome back
Northampton seems to have had a clear out focusing mainly on the midfield ans defense , a number have come on a free with a long loan, Regan Poole a 19 year old center back and under 21 welsh player on loan from Manchester united
let us see after 12 games how new look town shape up, new season and a new start, whilst we got better results in the pre season than previously ,it is what town do in the league that counts , personally i would have liked another forward, center back and left back .after two disappointing seasons let us hope Hurst's team does better than Melons .
my mate who is a big Wolves fans reckons Niall Ennis is the real deal and a big prospect for the future.

it would be nice to make a positive start and gets some points as we face two tough games against forest and Wimbledon .
so town fans any thoughts about this game ?
zenfootball

Re: northampton game

Postby zenfootball » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:47 pm

anyone getting excited !! lets hope for a good noisy crowd
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:52 pm

i believe town have got there first win at the start of the season since 2010, on paper a clean sheet and a three points looks good,whilst at the end of the day this is what will count but it is worth bearing in mind ,we played a Northampton team weakened by injuries, with a less than convincing defense and a keeper who fumbled the ball a number of times when under no real pressure .
Towns new number 7, Nolan and whalley seem to have formed a good understanding, our new number 9 worked hard ,he had three weak shoots and started look tired and frustrated .
towns defense were not really put under any real pressure till a brief flurry in the 80th minute were the defense looked a bit flustered and took ages to clear the ball,i am old fashioned and prefer keepers to clear the ball rather than try and dribble whilst he got away with it I find it unsettling, he made one error when he got stranded fortunately his defense bailed him out. both teams had goalmouth clearances .

town were the better team with a lot of possession, unfortunately in the final third we seemed to wont too many touches on the ball or tried to walk the ball in the net or over complicate things.one of the things i presume they had worked on the training ground was a diagonal curling cross to far edge of the box which unfortunately did not work out and after too many repetitions Northampton got clued up about it ,we looked sharper after the double substitution and a well worked goal got the points.

Town left it to over time to get the crucial goal, we deserved the win but as we know football is often not fair , we now face two very tough games.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:43 pm

zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:38 am

A decent game with a fantastic finish but....were it not for the stoppage time goal we would be looking at a disappointing 0-0 in a game we should have won comfortably. Northampton were no great shakes.
Positives: I thought Nolan was terrific. Reminded me of Ryan Woods at times. I like the goalie - he seems able to catch high crosses! The defence looked solid most of the time and a clean sheet is always good. We won a lot of 50:50 balls and consistently won back lost possession. Rodman had a good game and got the assist, I liked James Bolton. He had a few tussles with Marc Richards and generally had him on a plate. Toto was massive - what a great signing he has turned out to be! There was a lot more creativity and speed of passing I thought.
Negatives: only one really. We had two shots on target according to BBC stats. That's not enough in a game we dominated. Carlton Morris worked his socks off but had little support on his own. A 4-5-1 or 4-1-4-1 (if that's what is was) is fine if you want to stay solid and avoid defeat but it's a bit negative to my way of thinking and lacks ambition. I know Hurst likes wide men but I'd like to have seen Dodds up there playing off Morris and maybe sacrifice Rodman leaving the left wing to Brown.
But heck, what do I know? I cheered myself hoarse at the end and left with a big grin on my face. Give it Zen's first 12 games and see where we are then.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:46 pm

i think we would have created more shots on target if had better first touch and better distribution in the last third, i thought we looked more able to open them up when we had the double substitution , however if you look at the overall performance it was a good start and as lazchamp says we did win back a lot of possession something we struggled to do last year.
zenfootball

Postby Bluedog » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:08 pm

I think we have afar better squad than we started the season with last year, but still missing a real target man up front for me.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:50 am

Bluedog wrote:I think we have afar better squad than we started the season with last year, but still missing a real target man up front for me.

i agree Bluedog ,we need another forward and personally i think we need another center back as well
i think it would be hard to find a worse squad than last year but the bookies have not put us favorites to be relegated for a whim , so we have to prove them wrong we need consistency, clinical finishing and clean sheets.the new keeper looked willing to come for crosses he has not been tested yet so only time will tell.
zenfootball

Return to General Chat