new season / new start

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

new season / new start

Postby zenfootball » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:38 am

despite the gloom and doom of the bookies who have put as favorites to go down, it is a new season and a changed team.
so the 5th of august and our first game of the new season will kick off against Northampton
so fans what do you think of the pre - season performances ? ,
how do you feel the new team is shaping up ?
any areas you would like to see strengthened ?
anyone heard how many season tickets have been sold?
we start with a home game and it is school holidays do you think we can get over 5,500 for the first game?
any new players impressed you ?
zenfootball

Re: new season / new start

Postby Bluedog » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:26 pm

I was at the Villa game, Nolan looks a good player but the defence ? our old foe Ritchards will give them a good test on Saturday, i see Leutwiler has gone back to his old manager Mowbray who had him at Middlesbrough, Hurst has broken a long tradition by not having a team photo this season, still time tho.
Bluedog

Postby lazchamp » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:49 pm

I haven't seen any pre-season but the reports do suggest that we have a bit more variety in midfield. Nolan sounds like a good addition and Morris seems to be improving all the time.
The defence doesn't look like it's going to be very different which is a bit of a concern. Toto and Sadler seems to be the preferred central pairing with Zak Jules on the bench, Brown on the left and a non-league right back. Hmm....I'm glad Dom Smith has been sent out on loan rather than got rid of.
I'm sorry to see Leutweiler go on one level because he seems like one of the good guys but he seemed low in confidence at times last year. Maybe with a goalie who commands his area better the defence will seem less panicky than it sometimes did last season.
Hurst's recent comments about the attitude of some of the squad is a bit of a concern but in general the mood seems quite positive and the future looks bright! Doesn't it!?
Anyway, I'm looking forward to Saturday. It's going to be an interesting watch. I predict 3-1 to Town.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:27 pm

lazchamp wrote:I haven't seen any pre-season but the reports do suggest that we have a bit more variety in midfield. Nolan sounds like a good addition and Morris seems to be improving all the time.
The defence doesn't look like it's going to be very different which is a bit of a concern. Toto and Sadler seems to be the preferred central pairing with Zak Jules on the bench, Brown on the left and a non-league right back. Hmm....I'm glad Dom Smith has been sent out on loan rather than got rid of.
I'm sorry to see Leutweiler go on one level because he seems like one of the good guys but he seemed low in confidence at times last year. Maybe with a goalie who commands his area better the defence will seem less panicky than it sometimes did last season.
Hurst's recent comments about the attitude of some of the squad is a bit of a concern but in general the mood seems quite positive and the future looks bright! Doesn't it!?
Anyway, I'm looking forward to Saturday. It's going to be an interesting watch. I predict 3-1 to Town.

I agree lazchamp , whilst Leutweiler was a bit hit and miss last season, his contribution was a factor in town staying up for the last two season so i hope he does well.
When i read Hurst's interview about players attitudes that raised concern's for me, if they cant do what is expected now when Hurst is picking his team at the start of the season what will they be like if we struggle?
zenfootball

Return to General Chat