Women Euros 2017

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Women Euros 2017

Postby zenfootball » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:46 am

Mark Sampson seems to have transformed England i dont know what he is doing on the fitness side they ran around like turbo charged super women as the took Scotland apart 6-0
As you would expect Germany win even when they are not playing well to beat Italy 2-1, as Italy after a good start imploded with one player losing the plot and getting a red card, a side of the game that has emerged is women now emulating the men's game and going down over nothing , which saddens but does not surprise me.
for anyone who has not seen the womens game you may be pleasantly surprised , they are very good .
zenfootball

Re: Women Euros 2017

Postby lazchamp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:12 pm

Quite right, Zen. I think women's football, especially at international level is excellent. I get into serious trouble with my daughter if I suggest there is anything surprising about this but I am in awe at the fitness levels, skill and strength. To think women were banned from playing once upon a time because it was not considered ladylike for them to play footie. The women cricketers are pretty good too. The World Cup final was as gripping as any men's game I have seen recently. But now I'm being patronising apparently!
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:53 pm

felt gutted for Scotland whilst they rode there luck against Spain , what a battling performance you would need a heart of stone not to feel for them.
England now face France in the quarter final
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:00 pm

prior to this tournament Sweden were favorites to do well , a good Swedish team were played off the park by a very skilled Netherlands .Sweden looked very ordinary .
if England can beat France they will face a very tough test against the Netherlands.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:26 pm

Netherlands totally outclass Sweden to comfortably win.
the upsets kept coming as Denmark came back form conceding a goal in three minutes to win 2-1 against Germany , this result needs to be put in the context that Germany has never previously lost in ANY tournament at a quarter final stage!!! this would have been there TENTH successive semi final in the Euros this is how Big an upset this result is
it seems to be the year of upsets as Austria go through on penalties.
Whilst England got through by beating France , France has under performed all tournament what was concerning was how much France controlled the first half, without a doubt this was England's worst performance , they lacked pace , they looked very predictable and lacked ideas.
they face a very tough test against a rampant Netherlands who are playing too a home crowd. The Netherlands have pace to burn are very organized , skillful and can score from all areas. England will need to do a lot better or they will be played off the park . they also suffered a serious set back as experienced England goalkeeper Karen Bardsley will miss the rest of Women's Euro 2017 after breaking her leg.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:36 am

a disappointing end to this tournament for England, to be blunt they were out played, outclassed and tactically not at the races.
The Netherlands skill on the ball and general awareness was in another class, in contrast England looked predictable and struggled to string any passes together ,the tactics of the long ball and looking to score from a corner or set piece did not work and by half time it was obvious unless England got themselves sorted they would lose .The Netherlands always kept enough defenders back to mop up the long ball, England had acres of space in the midfield in which they failed to use or exploit. whilst the Netherlands were playing at a higher level and had clearly prepared for England approach , it was frustrating as England are better than this ,England has seen all the favorites knocked out , only to repeat an approach that did not work very well against France and failed miserably against the Netherlands , the manager must take some responsibility for the strategy they used.whilst 3-0 may seem a harsh scoreline England were second best in most areas.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:08 am

the Netherlands just got better through the tournament so no surprise to see they won.
zenfootball

Return to General Chat