What do town need for next season?

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Re: What do town need for next season?

Postby zenfootball » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:52 pm

lazchamp wrote:I'm really pleased that Morris has finally signed up for the next two years.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... year-deal/

To be honest I wasn't totally blown away by what I saw of him at the end of last season but there were moments when real quality shone through and I'm sure he will develop into a real asset. With a midfield of Morris, Nolan, Agogo and Dodds I think we can look forward to a lot more creativity than we've seen lately!

The squad are off to Portugal in about 10 days or so. I'm hoping we'll see a lot more coming and going before then. I'm starting to get a little twitchy!

i totally agree with you lazchamp . I am relived he has signed a two year .let us hope we can create the right training environment for us all to see his full potential
so a center back ,left back, right back, a winger, keeper and two forwards please
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:05 am

we have started pre season , we are 16 days away from our first pre season friendly and 41 days from our first game of the new season.
Apparently Hurst is relaxed which is good i know i am starting to sound like a broken record to my mind we still need a goalkeeper, left back, right back, center back, winger and two forwards, ideally they need time to bond and get to know the other players playing style, the nearer it gets to the start of the season the less relaxed i will feel.
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:52 am

OK, Zen, you've got your centre back!

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... y-chapter/

Hurst won't want to be dropping either Toto or Sadler to find a place for Zak. I wonder if he'll be looking to move from 4-4-2 to three at the back with Sadler taking a left sided position and Junior Brown pushing up the wing more. He came to Town as a winger originally. That would mean that Rodman could go - which would also make you happy, Zen!

It seems to be shaping up quite well - although I remember saying that last year when Mellon was signing all those experienced "League 1 ready" donkeys!
lazchamp

Postby lazchamp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:31 pm

I quite like the look of this one. Should be a bit more effective than Gary Deegan was, with a goal or two in him.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... wich-city/

He's got a good name for terrace chants. "Eeee-Booo!"

So that's apparently it so far as midfield is concerned. I reckon we'll see another right back, a goalie and maybe a striker this week before they all go off to Portugal on Sunday.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:15 pm

lazchamp wrote:I quite like the look of this one. Should be a bit more effective than Gary Deegan was, with a goal or two in him.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... wich-city/

He's got a good name for terrace chants. "Eeee-Booo!"

So that's apparently it so far as midfield is concerned. I reckon we'll see another right back, a goalie and maybe a striker this week before they all go off to Portugal on Sunday.

this looks like a very good loan, midfield is the one area were we have an abundance , so just need to sort we cant score, we cant defend that plagued us last season.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:00 am

grimmer has been linked to the club in the past he was an asset personally last season i thought he among many of our defenders was poor
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:58 am

Agreed, Zen Grimmer wasn't great last season; much better the season before. Right back is a problem area with Joe Riley so injury prone although I thought Dom Smith did well there whenever he was given a run out.
Hurst is having a moan in The Star today about how slow some of the dead wood are being about moving on. I think I'd want to play if it was me rather than sit around picking up a guaranteed pay check for the next 12 months.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... aying-put/
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:57 pm

lazchamp wrote:Agreed, Zen Grimmer wasn't great last season; much better the season before. Right back is a problem area with Joe Riley so injury prone although I thought Dom Smith did well there whenever he was given a run out.
Hurst is having a moan in The Star today about how slow some of the dead wood are being about moving on. I think I'd want to play if it was me rather than sit around picking up a guaranteed pay check for the next 12 months.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... aying-put/

The problem there are so many of them it is a catch 22 ,until they go does the club have the funds to duplicate players, they wont go till there agent can line up a deal , after last season who would want them?
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:58 am

El-Abd has gone now (I had a lot of respect for him as a proper pro) which just leaves McGivern, Rodman and Leitch-Smith I think. I wonder if they will be going to Portugal with the rest of the squad tomorrow. They should be able to find find a League 2 club to take them. Perhaps McGivern could go back to Port Vale! LOL

This new loan signing looks interesting. Bit young maybe (although same age as Tyler Roberts) but clearly has potential. Doesn't say whether he's a left or right sided player. Things shaping up quite nicely now, although I said that this time last year!

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... long-loan/
lazchamp

Postby matster » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:31 pm

I'm Rodman is not with the club.

Also Brown is shown as being in midfield on shrewsweb.
matster

Postby Bluedog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Apart from Nolan not a lot of experience coming in so far,the loan left winger is only 19,i still think we need a right back, an experienced goal keeper as back up, another forward if he can find one, i am a bit concerned about the coming season. anyone know what the stadium is called, now that Greenhouse has gone.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:17 am

welcome Daniel james let us hope he can play better than rodman ,he is young with not a lot of experience ,however he might play with no fear only time will tell.
we are still thin on the ground , i was hoping for a revamped defense
zenfootball

Postby Bluedog » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:10 pm

Good to see a back up keeper has been signed from Walsall, i agree with you Zen it would have been nice to have a revamped defence, but looks like he is going with what we have got.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Bluedog wrote:Good to see a back up keeper has been signed from Walsall, i agree with you Zen it would have been nice to have a revamped defence, but looks like he is going with what we have got.

we still have time , i completely agree with you Bluedog about the back up keeper , i would be very concerned if we don't have any more defenders ,some were clearly not up to the job last season and that is not going to change, the whole of last season we had a team who could not score and could not defend, so far in the key areas im am not convinced this squad is up to it !!
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:46 pm

in today's Shropshire star Town are the bookies favorites to be relegated , considering the last two season not a surprise. Hurst has indicated two more players not named will be leaving the club soon,i hope they are some of the dead wood we so badly need to clear out of the squad, however i hope this release some funds for some defenders and other key players. last time the club mentioned ticket sales, we were on target to keep the same number of season tickets, it shows what loyal fans town has, i always have the greatest respect for the traveling fans who clock up the miles following town on the road
zenfootball

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat