What do town need for next season?

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Re: What do town need for next season?

Postby zenfootball » Wed May 17, 2017 7:43 am

as hurst decides to send let go of Gary Deegan on a free transfer. i agree we also need to let go of El abd , deegan's distribution was poor he got a nose bleed if he crossed the half way line and tended to pass across or back, i was very disapointed with him as he looked what we need with some physicality in the midfield , El Abd is a carthorse wingers know how to beat him and he has only one option which is to foul them.
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Wed May 17, 2017 10:30 am

I agree, Zen. Deegan is certainly a battler but lacks creativity. Being a hard man only takes you so far if you've nothing else to offer.
Agree with you too about El Abd and Rodman. I thought Rodman showed some promise early on but has been pretty ineffective since. I hardly noticed him against Southend.
It's clear that Hurst doesn't rate Mellon's acquisitions and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lancashire, McGivern and Leitch-Smith offered free transfers
All of which means Hurst is going to be busy!
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Sun May 21, 2017 1:51 pm

lazchamp wrote:I agree, Zen. Deegan is certainly a battler but lacks creativity. Being a hard man only takes you so far if you've nothing else to offer.
Agree with you too about El Abd and Rodman. I thought Rodman showed some promise early on but has been pretty ineffective since. I hardly noticed him against Southend.
It's clear that Hurst doesn't rate Mellon's acquisitions and I wouldn't be surprised to see Lancashire, McGivern and Leitch-Smith offered free transfers
All of which means Hurst is going to be busy!

yes he is lazchamp

let us hope the key players out of contract sign early ,i also hope we are not in a position of scrambling around trying to get players just before the season starts. all of which depends on what money do we have to spend .
zenfootball

Postby Bluedog » Sun May 21, 2017 2:12 pm

I see on the net that the football league say that any player offered a new contract has 28days to give their clubs an answer.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Sun May 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Bluedog wrote:I see on the net that the football league say that any player offered a new contract has 28days to give their clubs an answer.

in my opinion this is well overdue , this should stop agents and players messing clubs about
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Thu May 25, 2017 12:39 pm

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... r-gnahoua/
let us hope he is hidden diamond and not a dude he is going up 3 leagues that is asking a lot of a player
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Fri May 26, 2017 9:49 am

I agree it is a big step up but Hurst & Co will have done their research. He hasn't cost anything, he's on a short initial contract and won't be on massive wages so in some ways it's a no brainer.
Wouldn't it be great if he scored 15 goals and we could sell him on for £1 million!
Anyone know how you say his name?

I'd like to see Bryn Morris sign up and I'd love it if we could get Tyler Roberts back on a season long loan. We need some midfield creativity to feed Arthur! Incidentally, talking of recent loan stars, anyone see that Sulley Kaikai got a run out at Old Trafford last weekend?

Hurst needs to get rid of some dead wood to free up funds - several contracted players need to be encouraged to look elsewhere for some game time. Hurst seems to have this all in hand:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... own-squad/

It's going to be an interesting few weeks ahead.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Sat May 27, 2017 7:16 am

as you say lazchamp :

a big obsticale for hurst is the dead wood that melon signed who are not up to league one standards and who will have them?
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat May 27, 2017 3:34 pm

welcome Lenell John-Lewis i hope he has brought his scoring boots with him , my only concerns are injured knee we have had so many players who have come with a history of injuries and then spent to many game out of action and another player who has not played at this level, so far not feeling very positive about the new players a forward who is going up 3 divisions and another with a serious knee injury in his past
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:34 pm

i had hoped to see more players or even some rumors of players, my worst fear is a re run of getting other teams rejects/unfit players and the bulk of the squad of players who were not good enough last season.
zenfootball

Postby matster » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:11 pm

seems like he's playing a waiting game at the mo.
matster

Postby zenfootball » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:07 pm

matster wrote:seems like he's playing a waiting game at the mo.

it is a hard balance because we dont want just anyone and players and town are looking for the best deal
in 34 days we will be playing our first friendly with a squad badly short of the players we need
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:25 pm

I expect Hurst will want to have his squad more or less settled by the time they all swan off to Portugal at the end of the month. Which sort of suggests that the next 2 weeks are going to be busy!
Jon Nolan seems like a decent acquisition - on a 3 year deal too which is rare.
I'd still like to see Morris sign up and see some of the dead wood on their way out. No panic just yet though.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:58 pm

we still have too much dead wood and unless things change the bulk of the squad are players who were not good enough for league 1 .i have mixed feelings about this Portugal trip, if we have another dire season it could bit Hurst on the bum, however we still have time to get more players .
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm really pleased that Morris has finally signed up for the next two years.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/fo ... year-deal/

To be honest I wasn't totally blown away by what I saw of him at the end of last season but there were moments when real quality shone through and I'm sure he will develop into a real asset. With a midfield of Morris, Nolan, Agogo and Dodds I think we can look forward to a lot more creativity than we've seen lately!

The squad are off to Portugal in about 10 days or so. I'm hoping we'll see a lot more coming and going before then. I'm starting to get a little twitchy!
lazchamp

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat