What do town need for next season?

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

What do town need for next season?

Postby zenfootball » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:30 pm

so who do we keep and who do we let go.what areas do we need to strengthen

let us hope Hurst stays ( just so we are clear i have heard nothing about hurst staying or leaving but after the job he has done for town i am sure he must be on someones radar , let us hope he gets the support to create and rebuild a team for next season
my thought on the squad

Shaun Whalley Mat Sadler, and Mark Halstead all have deals that come to an end, alongside youngsters Shaun Rowley, Callum Grogan and Ethan Jones. the only one i would not keep is Halstead , during the transfer window there was a rumor that Hurst was after a keeper and forward from Grimsby

Jayson Leutwiler ( not as consistent as last season he is never going to a keeper who deals with crosses but he is a shot stopper keep)
Joe Riley (let go just keeps on making basic errors ,he gets skinned far to often)
Ryan McGivern ( he was a much better player when he was moved to left back and Saddler as center back, he does not seem to have been a part of town since his return from injury i understand he had a mare against telford) i wonder if hurst has already written him off but i would keep him
Louis Dodds ( he is one of the few town players who can pull things out of his hat, he is towns second highest scorer on the downside he drifts in and out of games and i am not convinced Hurst knows were to play him)
Junior Brown , he gives town options in support of attacks, he has had some outstanding games but even with his crucial header against Southend he has been less effective in the later stages of the season he must have springs in the way he can win headers as a left back he needs to work on his consistency a number of goals have come from Brown been out of position ( keep)
Bryn Morris has only got a six month contract he has quality , a goods first touch and vision ( we would be mad to not keep him)

Mat Sadler has just got better all season( keep)
Shaun Whalley when he is on top of his game he can torment defenses( the issue he needs to work on is his consistency and crosses to many are just catching practice so a keep for me)
Abu Ogogo contract has been extended

Rodman has 14 months left on his contract ,he came on a free( personally i don't think he is up to league 1 let go )
Adam El-Abd this season showed he has no pace , his rash tackles cost at least two games(let go)
Aristote Nsiala has brought a valuable dimension to our defense , since he joined we now win headers !!( keep)
Deegan has brought some physicality to the midfield something that was lacking however he gets a nose bleed if he crosses the half way line ,the majority of the time he passes sideways or back and far to often forward momentum is lost his distribution is awful( let go)

the only loan player i would wont back is Tyler Roberts

Despite Hurst rating him Payne is not good enough
Grimmer was immense last season but seems to have lost his pace and made to many defensive errors
my thought on were we need to bring in players.
so what we need a center back, a right back, left back ,winger, a midfielder who can bring some physicality but can pass the ball and take free kicks, a new number two keeper, three forwards .

so what do you think, who would you keep.let go ? and players you like that would come
Last edited by zenfootball on Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zenfootball

Re: What do town need for next season?

Postby zenfootball » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:30 am

when looking at oxford i found that three forwards had scored 42 goals our entire squad scored 46 , this has to change we have had forwards who are not up to the job and midfielders who dont consistently supply the forwards and defenders who cant defend so unles we wont a repeat of the last two season and what happened when we were in league one before it is time for the people in charge to get together and build a spine of a team ,get some continuity, yes we seem to have a production line of keepers who get sold as teens but why are we not bringing on more players through the academy to regular first team places it is vital as a small club that we do. the youth team seem to do well so what is not happening to enable them to progress.
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:59 pm

I agree 100%, Zen. There are two players I had high hopes for (and still do) but they hardly figured during the season.
Dom Smith came on when Joe Riley got injured and did really well I thought (I can't remember which game it was). He looked composed and certainly no worse than Riley and even a bit better than Grimmer. I can't remember him getting any match time after that appearance.
Ethan Jones is the other one. He's quick and skillful with an eye for goal. He may be young and a bit raw but then so was Marcus Rashford when he first came on the scene. Has he figured at all under Hurst? I don't remember it if so.
On balance I trust Hurst to know what he's doing but I'll be disappointed if these two don't feature more next season.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:31 am

lazchamp wrote:I agree 100%, Zen. There are two players I had high hopes for (and still do) but they hardly figured during the season.
Dom Smith came on when Joe Riley got injured and did really well I thought (I can't remember which game it was). He looked composed and certainly no worse than Riley and even a bit better than Grimmer. I can't remember him getting any match time after that appearance.
Ethan Jones is the other one. He's quick and skillful with an eye for goal. He may be young and a bit raw but then so was Marcus Rashford when he first came on the scene. Has he figured at all under Hurst? I don't remember it if so.
On balance I trust Hurst to know what he's doing but I'll be disappointed if these two don't feature more next season.

I agree with you lazchamp they are young and still learning but have potential and Smith did really well Jones has pace and no fear but they have not been given the chance of a regular first place , let us hope that with a new season Hurst will give it them.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:07 pm

a feeble end to the season highlights the importance of the club and hurst doing a much better job in preparation for next year.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:11 pm

in recent times been promoted to league 1 ( apart from the cup run )has not been that enjoyable. regardless of who has been the manager we have not managed the transition , too many players have just not been good enough.let us hope Hurst can do better.
we also need a major sponsor with a £130K hole in the funds as Greenhouse will not be sponsoring town next season.
after the oxford game Hurst disclosed that by next weekend the players who will not be staying will know
zenfootball

Postby Bluedog » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:05 pm

Two central defenders to replace the ones who will be leaving, a creative central mid field player, a right back,another left winger, a keeper, and last a couple of forwards who will be loans unless we can find a few bob to buy one.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Wed May 03, 2017 2:22 pm

Sadler , Morris , Whalley and goalkeeper Rowley have been offered new contracts let us hope they sign and don't mess about,

according to the radio Joe Riley has had a complicated break in the star Hurst has said he will not be ready for the start of the season.Whilst Hurst rates him i don't he gets skinned , he tends to switch off and is injury prone he was on my list to let go
Mark Halstead, Ethan Jones, Kaiman Anderson and Callum Grogan have been let go , i dont know Anderson and Grogan , I know Hurst was trying for a keeper in January so not surprised Mark Halstead let go, i am very disappointed Ethan Jones was not offered a contract even just a year, he had pace and no fear , personally i dont think Mellon helped him with him playing bit parts late in the game and getting dropped even when i thought he had played well, he seems to have disappeared under Hurst,who know what goes on at the club, i think he had a lot of potential i really hope he gets a club.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Thu May 04, 2017 7:07 pm

no surprise there are rumors that Hurst is interested in the Grimsby keeper as the same rumors surfaced in January, clearly Hurst knows the potential of the team he used to manage however what is he looking for players he can develop, proven players who have played at league 1 and higher? time will tell
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat May 06, 2017 7:17 am

it seems Hurst is considering widening the pitch what do fans think?
zenfootball

Postby matster » Sat May 06, 2017 8:45 am

Looks likely that the pitch will go back to what it was and that we will be signing some wingers and dedicated LB/RBs come the summer!
matster

Postby Bluedog » Thu May 11, 2017 4:34 pm

ElAbd,O'Brien,McGiven,Lancashire,and maybe Leitch Smith are on contract for another season on 1st div wages so will cost to pay off, i can't see any 2nd div clubs taking them on,PH says it will affect the number of new players he can bring in. may be Melon would like to have them back.
Bluedog

Postby lazchamp » Sat May 13, 2017 10:45 am

As pretty much expected, Shaun Whalley has signed up for another two years. That's good news. He just needs to spend pre-season working on his final ball!
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Sat May 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Bluedog wrote:ElAbd,O'Brien,McGiven,Lancashire,and maybe Leitch Smith are on contract for another season on 1st div wages so will cost to pay off, i can't see any 2nd div clubs taking them on,PH says it will affect the number of new players he can bring in. may be Melon would like to have them back.

unfortunately unless we pay them off i cant see anyone coming for them,the only one i would keep is McGiven
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat May 13, 2017 10:23 pm

lazchamp wrote:As pretty much expected, Shaun Whalley has signed up for another two years. That's good news. He just needs to spend pre-season working on his final ball!

i completely agree with you lazchamp about his crosses in one game he had 12 crosses / corners 11 were catching practice for the keeper, however he is the best winger we have got ,personally i hope they replace rodman .
zenfootball

Next

Return to General Chat