walsall game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

walsall game

Postby zenfootball » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:04 pm

when you look at the teams battling to stay up there are so many permutations and variables it can give you a headache ,with Walsall what you see is what you get , they tend to play 4-4-2 ,they tend to have teams with pace who will pounce on a mistake with lightning fast counter attack ,good distribution , they keep it on the ground and punish any mistakes, and they press teams all over the park for 90 minutes , our track record against them is less than inspiring . it am not sure how to take a recent slump in form with 2 draws and three defeats out of the last five games , however when you look at the five teams only one of them is below them in the table and two of the defeats were against clubs in the top four.
yes we beat rochdale but they were poor , yes we created more chances by pressing and playing up the park but no matter how much Hurst raves about payen he missed two very good chances . our defense seems incapable of concentrating for 90 minutes , i really hope Hurst does not repeat his format of the second half against rochdale with 4-5-1 formation were most of the team sat behind the half way line and as the half progressed town sat deeper and deeper if they walsall will turn us inside out. for so long mr reliable Leutwiller seems to have become a lose canon , with failing to clear his lines ,coming for balls he had no business coming for , kicking balls in to touch when under no pressure and fumbling shots .

a win would be a huge result anything less and we could sink back into a relegation place .at this rate i will have no nails or hair . lets us lift the roof and get behind the lads UP THE BLUES !!
zenfootball

Re: walsall game

Postby lazchamp » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:47 pm

A win, obviously, would be great but a draw is probably a more realistic expectation.

I'll be watching Bryn Morris more closely. I hardly noticed him last Saturday so I was a bit surprised when he got Man of the Match. If he can find his feet and some confidence hopefully he'll start providing some of the creativity Town have been lacking this season.

Like you, Zen, I was a bit surprised to hear Hurst waxing lyrical about Payne. He took his goal nicely but missed a couple of decent opportunities. He doesn't look like he poses much of a threat. Neither does Humphreys in my opinion. I found myself thinking about James Collins and wondering if he was really that bad compared to the current choices. There was a school of thought that he couldn't quite quite hack it in League 1 and he's up to 20 goals with Crawley this season so maybe League 2 is his true level. All the same I reckon he'd get 10 - 15 goals for us playing a full season. I doubt he'd have missed the pen against Coventry for one thing. I wonder if he'd come back if he was asked nicely?

There was a lot of discussion about Leutweiler around me. He still has his fans but I reckon his confidence looks pretty shot at the moment. He's still a good shot-stopper but his distribution is terrible and he doesn't command his area as he should. I'd like to see Halstead given another go. If Hurst can get the Grimsby goalie in the summer, as seemed likely for a while in January, I reckon Jason will be on his bike.

Good to see Abu Agogo is on the mend and has a one year contract extension. He's been a big miss.

Rochdale were awful on Saturday (but could still have won if they had kept onside when it mattered!) so let's hope they pull their fingers out and do us a favour at Bury tomorrow night. Local derby, so maybe they will be more up for it than they seemed against us.

Definitely squeaky bum time at the moment! My son's American wife thought that sounded a bit gross!
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Whilst Payne showed composure in the goal he did score he had two other goal chance in one he could not sort out his feet in the other i was expecting the net to bulge but Payne air shot ,i know Hurst rates him but he has no pace ,he cant head the ball his first touch is poor and his over all work rate is not that high and i would happily be proven wrong when he a scores a hat-trick against Walsall.
we have to the best that we can with what we have , I agree with you lazchamp that a draw is more feasible and if we where not battling to stay up i would be thrilled with a draw but we are running out of games and chances and i appreciate one point is better than nothing .fingers and everything else crossed that we can get something from this game.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:43 pm

Walsall boss Jon Whitney said his side will ‘have no sympathy’ as they seek another ‘fond memory’ with victory over rivals Shrewsbury Town.
Read more at http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wal ... fgZDyuT.99
I am not aware we asked for any sympathy, if our players have a shred of pride in playing for town and wearing the shirt let us hope this galvanizes them. we lost 3-2 to them on our travels if town cant be fired up now when can they ?. we have not had back to back to wins since the 11 of February so it is overdue !! UP THE BLUES
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:31 pm

Rochdale have done town a big favor by beating bury
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:29 pm

town more than held there own in the first half ,it was at a rather frantic pace and very much end to end ,Payne had a half chance in the opening minute , we had a few long range shots and whalleys glancing header were towns best chances ,town shaded the first half , i need to look at the goal on the tv but my initial impressions were that it looked as if towns defense seemed to switch off 0-1
Payned showed a lot more battling spirit and willingness to cover the yards , not sure Dodds and him are on each others wavelength in the same way as dodds and ladapo .
Grimmer struggled to cope with the pace and the physicality of Walsall number 20 . Rodman was poor and contributed very little to the game Whalley improved through the game. shortly after the Walsall goal Leutwiller made a crucial reflex save from short range and another from a shot , if they had scored i think it would have been game over.Dodds went off presumably with an injury

for the first 20 minutes of the second town looked sluggish, all at sea and disjointed at the time it was hard to see how they were going to get back in the game , Hurst made a substitution and this gave town a spark ,Payne scored he looked sharper and more up for it,he nearly added a second but the keeper made a good save and another effort ended in the net only to be ruled off side .for a ten minute spell Walsall were very much on the back foot and rocking
Morris makes some wonderful passes and looks very composed on the ball, Saddler and brown put in a very big shift .Aristote made a number of crucial tackles but my only concern is he gets blindsided and caught out of position .Leutwiller made another crucial save ,in the last ten minutes a number of town players looked out on there legs.

relived we got back in the game and got a point .but for our defense it would be three and that has been our achilles heel all season, still giving away free headers but for 60 minutes out of 90 town showed more spirit and battled i would have loved a win to shut up the gobby walsall fans and for there manager to eat some humble pie . everything to play for UP THE BLUES
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 pm

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shr ... selection/

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shr ... sall-draw/
funny old game football ,interesting how you can watch the same game and have such a vastly different perspective.
i know it is nearly the end of the season but rather concerned to see so many town players struggling with fatigue with ten minutes to go especially as we play Northampton in 3 days .watching the highlights just confirmed what i thought was a soft goal three defenders failed to pick up the run of the walsall defender who ran between two of them for a free header the defenders then blame each other for not picking up the run ,considering hust and his assistant are former defenders such soft goals should be stamped out.considering how inept they are and that the bulk of the goals have come from set play i am surprised hurst has not introduced zonal marking.
both managers were blaming the players hurst for not coping with there nerves and under performing( they have under performed all season!) the walsall managers was scathing about the poor defending and sounds like the players were subjected to a severe hairdryer moment in the dressing room.
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:07 am

Nice write up, Zen. Agree with all of it.
Walsall's goal and the cross and double save from Leutweiler shortly after both stemmed from Grimmer being skinned by their No 20. Grimmer doesn't seem to me to have the pace he showed last season. I think he looks a bit chunkier too. Is he carrying a bit of weight?
20 minutes into the second half I could see no way out for Town. I thought Walsall would probably get a second and see out the game. I was even thinking of leaving early which I never do normally.
Then we score and Town at last start looking like a football team. I was up on my feet shouting like mad, reacting to the loony from Block 19 who was dancing in front of the crowd waving his arms and chanting "Paul Hurst's barmy army!" Brilliant! We had them on the ropes at times and could have nicked it.
So I'm happy with a point in the end.
I heard the Walsall manager on Radio WM when I was driving back to Brum. Arrogant so and so, I thought. He reckoned they should have seen out the 1-0. Certain players were going to be "held to account" for allowing Payne a free header and for allowing the cross to come in. What a git. Still, I hope they stuff Swindon on Monday!
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:39 am

lazchamp wrote:Nice write up, Zen. Agree with all of it.
Walsall's goal and the cross and double save from Leutweiler shortly after both stemmed from Grimmer being skinned by their No 20. Grimmer doesn't seem to me to have the pace he showed last season. I think he looks a bit chunkier too. Is he carrying a bit of weight?
20 minutes into the second half I could see no way out for Town. I thought Walsall would probably get a second and see out the game. I was even thinking of leaving early which I never do normally.
Then we score and Town at last start looking like a football team. I was up on my feet shouting like mad, reacting to the loony from Block 19 who was dancing in front of the crowd waving his arms and chanting "Paul Hurst's barmy army!" Brilliant! We had them on the ropes at times and could have nicked it.
So I'm happy with a point in the end.
I heard the Walsall manager on Radio WM when I was driving back to Brum. Arrogant so and so, I thought. He reckoned they should have seen out the 1-0. Certain players were going to be "held to account" for allowing Payne a free header and for allowing the cross to come in. What a git. Still, I hope they stuff Swindon on Monday!

thanks lazchamp
totally agree that it would be a huge help if they can beat swindon , they are the club out of teams who are trying to stay up who have the best form and slowly and steadily have closed the gap 8 points out of the last four games compared to towns 4.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:44 am

i know a goal can lift a team but we need to play how we did after the goal for 90 minutes, we need that intensity attack is the best form of defense, town have looked there best when we play higher up the park use the pace of the wingers and press them hard. however not sure town have the stamina or legs to do it.
zenfootball

Return to General Chat