Rochdale game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Rochdale game

Postby zenfootball » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:35 pm

town have to stop the slide , town have to wake up and stop us sleepwalking into relegation , out of the last 6 games we have drawn two and lost four straight games ,considering how we failed to perform against vale ,seeing Rochdale brush them comfortably aside 3-0 is hardly reassuring ,if i was a Rochdale fans i would be expecting a goal fest but town have to do more than damage limitations apart the town die hard fans the neutrals would expect an easy win for Rochdale. i have no idea how Hurst can motivate the team but something has to change the way Roberts limped off the field clutching his hamstring i would be amazed to see him even on the subs bench ,Payne contributed nothing so i hope Hurst thinks of a different front pairing with Ladapo.
when teams are tentative they play within themselves and play safe ,town must cut out the silly errors , i will be going let us hope we don't see town booed after this game.time and games are running out. swindon play MDons and Vale play Chesterfield ( i expect a Vale win)we have to hope the other teams can do us a big favour,a few wins and we could still stay up.
Last edited by zenfootball on Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zenfootball

Re: Rochdale game

Postby zenfootball » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:20 am

you can have game were you don't get any break, the ref is a waste of space and it feels like the world and it's Aunty is against you but once the players get on the pitch there is little Hurst can do ,then it is down to the players ,look at Ireland under Charlton they were not a world class team but they were difficult to beat because the players did the simple things well, they worked hard and did not give up, against Rochdale and for the reaming games it is down to the players how much do they care, how much do they wont this , are they willing to work so hard it physically hurts ,do they have pride in wearing a town shirt or are they just going through the motions spouting empty words and have given up and looking for other clubs to move on to ?
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:07 pm

with Roberts hurting his hamstring ,Riley has a sore hip and Humphrys is ill , hurst has less options from a small pool of players , Yates will be able to play after the suspension.
this is a must win anything less is not going to be enough
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:03 pm

on the radio tonight Roberts returned to parent club and it is unlikely to play for the rest of the season .so who will perform the link up play something that was lacking before his arrival,also he was a spark because he could do something unexpected
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:12 am

in games like this the experienced players need to step up ,in the remaining games will town town finish with a roar or a whimper .
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:43 pm

what a difference a few days makes , whilst it was not a roar it was not a whimper either,town did show some teeth we rode our luck in a game that was not pretty but what could a valuable win and the results went our way. only FIVE points separate 15th to 21st place .
what town did in the first half was press Rochdale and use the wingers ,Whalley ,Dodds Brown, Grimmer,Saddler and Morris all worked hard, Morris cut out a lot of crucial balls ,Dodds and Whalley pressed hard .
this game could have been a lot more comfortable if we were more comfortable and clinical in front of goal ,Whilst Payne showed composure in the goal he did score he had two other goal chance in one he could not sort out his feet in the other i was expecting the net to bulge but Payne air shot ,i know Hurst rates him but he has no pace ,he cant head the ball his first touch is poor and his over all work rate is not that high. a free kick off the training ground flopped as Dodds scuffed the ball,Morris should have done better with the ball 18 yards from goal and under no pressure both went over the bar. an inviting cross from Whalley was scrambled clear , no team can afford to squander so many chances especially a one fighting for relegation however compare this to hit and hope against millwall with hardly any chances. Leutwiller made an absolutely dogs breakfast from a bread and butter shoot thankfully the follow up shoot from Leutwiller fumble was offside.Town should have put this game to bed

i did not agree with how hurst set up the team for the second half , when pressing up the pitch and using the wingers was working to start the second half with a 4-5-1 formation and essentially most of team sitting behind half way line was bizarre, inevitably it invited pressure and inevitable as the half progressed town sat deeper and deeper, yes we did have the odd counter attack but let us be grateful that the Rochdale team had a bad day at the office ,near the end of the game Rochdale had another goal disallowed for off side and initially i thought it was a goal. i found the second half nerve shredding .
Relief and we rode our luck. Walsall will be a much tougher game sitting back against them would be suicidal. let us celebrate and hope as we are still in it. this was a must win game and we did it.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:36 pm

we have put an end to our losing run, we kept a clean sheet at the end of the day i was surprised at how poor rochdale were but we beat them and we have not done that in other games.
zenfootball

Return to General Chat