fight for survival

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Re: fight for survival

Postby zenfootball » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:11 pm

results were a bit mixed disappointing to see yet more lax defending, town's keeper bailed us out and we got a deserved draw , if we were not battling to stay up i would be pleased with a draw a win would have given us some breathing room, we need to take control of our own destiny and not hope the teams around us lose.
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:42 am

So, Northampton away on Monday. Remember our 7-1 a few seasons back? Germaine Grandison tiptoeing through the Cobblers' defence to score? They are certainly beatable on their own patch and we are overdue an away win.

I reckon 3 more points should be enough. I know we shouldn't have to worry about what other teams do but it's impossible not to look at all the permutations. We just need to stay ahead of Port Vale and Swindon and I think they will be doing well to get any more points at all. But we know what football is like. This is when Vale (just the one away win all season) win their remaining 3 away games (Oxford, Fleetwood and Walsall - them again!).

It would be really great if Town could confirm their League 1 status next Saturday, maybe with a point against Southend. Then I might even be tempted to invade the pitch. Last time I did that was at The Gay Meadow in April 1979 when we beat Exeter 4-1 to win the old Division 3. Mind you in those days I didn't have to worry about whether or not I could get my leg over the barrier so maybe I will behave myself and not risk putting my hip out!

The last thing we need after next Saturday is to find ourselves in the bottom four with just Oxford away to do something about it.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:26 pm

whilst we have to focus on our own results , we cant ignore what is happening around us oldhams back to back wins were they have beaten fleetwood and bolton something town could not do has given them some breathing room and a precious 6 point window from vale .
zenfootball

Postby Bluedog » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:56 pm

I think Oldham are now safe,it is now 4 clubs in the relegation fight Shrews Portvale Swindon and Bury.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Bluedog wrote:I think Oldham are now safe,it is now 4 clubs in the relegation fight Shrews Portvale Swindon and Bury.

very much so and out of the four swindon has the best form
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:00 pm

today results just could not have gone any better Gillingham, Oldham, Vale and Swindon all lose
Fleetwood and Scunthorpe win and close the gap on Bolton as they play Bury next a win by Bury and they go above us this is possible as Oldham recently beat them.

i know this sounds negative but a point against a weak northampton who played over 30 minutes with 10 players and over 5 minutes with 9 players as we battle relegation is just not good enough,we blew a chance to have a five point gap, as it is it looks as if it will go to the wire .
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:03 am

The atmosphere on Saturday should be electric. It's kinda what I hoped for - all to play for at the last home game of the season although I think I'd rather we were already safe and it didn't matter whether we win, lose or draw. I'm not sure my nerves can stand it!
Southend will be tough opposition but I'd rather be a Town fan than a Swindon or Port Vale supporter at the moment. I reckon they simply have to beat Scunthorpe and Bolton respectively if they are to keep their hopes of survival alive, irrespective of what Town do. A tough ask.
UUURGH!!
Bury getting stuffed at Bolton tonight would be excellent.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:51 am

lazchamp wrote:The atmosphere on Saturday should be electric. It's kinda what I hoped for - all to play for at the last home game of the season although I think I'd rather we were already safe and it didn't matter whether we win, lose or draw. I'm not sure my nerves can stand it!
Southend will be tough opposition but I'd rather be a Town fan than a Swindon or Port Vale supporter at the moment. I reckon they simply have to beat Scunthorpe and Bolton respectively if they are to keep their hopes of survival alive, irrespective of what Town do. A tough ask.
UUURGH!!
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:55 am

lazchamp wrote:The atmosphere on Saturday should be electric. It's kinda what I hoped for - all to play for at the last home game of the season although I think I'd rather we were already safe and it didn't matter whether we win, lose or draw. I'm not sure my nerves can stand it!
UUURGH!!

Bolton fans must be getting twitchy let us hope they dont mess up against vale. over the season town have blown so many games , hurst inherited a poor squad for me the three games starting with coventry was a tipping point two point out of nine contributes to us falling from having a five point comfort zone to next to nothing only time will tell what will be the cost of failing to beat Northampton ,essential we have to hope vale lose the next two games and swindon lose the next game.otherwise some very squeaky bum times are in store!
zenfootball

Postby Bluedog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 pm

You can bet that Bury will win their home game against Northampton on Saturday.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Bluedog wrote:You can bet that Bury will win their home game against Northampton on Saturday.

I am on the same page as you on this one Bluedog
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:55 pm

a crucial and priceless a win and a clean sheet,
zenfootball

Postby matster » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:15 pm

Great result and a really enjoyable way to do it.
matster

Postby zenfootball » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:21 pm

zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:08 pm

Town have done it let us be grateful that staying up was not dependent on the last game.
zenfootball

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat