fight for survival

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

fight for survival

Postby zenfootball » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:49 am

town now play 3 crucial and potentially game changing matches, we are slowly pulling away but any drop of form could easily pulls us back down ,the margins are very tight, if and it a big if we could win all three we get 9 points we reach 50 points not long ago that seemed a pipe dream ,last season a figure widely quoted as giving teams a good chance of survival was 55 we now play three teams below us all three are in the relegation zone so will not just role over.
over the last three games out of the chasing pack Bury have the best form with 3 wins ,then swindon 2 wins one loss, then town 2 wins 1 loss ,then the gills 1 win, 1 draw and 1 loss,then oldham 1 win 2 drawes and northampton 1 draw two losses.then coventry 1 win 2 losses ,then port vale and chesterfield who both have 2 losses and 1 draw.
the table as of today 4 /03/2017
port vale have three games in hand but i would prefer points on the board as anything can happen,we are only five points clear of swindon
in the near future we will play two games against teams currently in the top 6 Bolton and millwall so anything from them will be a bonus.

16 Shrewsbury Town 35 11 8 16 39 50 -11 41

17 Northampton Town 35 11 7 17 51 59 -8 40

18 Bury 35 11 7 17 53 62 -9 40

19 Gillingham 35 9 12 14 45 56 -11 39

20 Oldham Athletic 35 9 12 14 23 34 -11 39

21 Swindon Town 35 9 9 17 35 49 -14 36

22 Port Vale 32 8 10 14 34 51 -17 34

23 Chesterfield 34 7 7 20 31 56 -25 28

24 Coventry City 34 5 10 19 30 54 -24 25
zenfootball

Re: fight for survival

Postby lazchamp » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:41 am

Good analysis, Zen. The last few weeks have transformed the season into some genuine excitement. I'm feeling confident it will all end up well for Blues fans but you're right; a run of bad results could easily drop us back in the doo-doo's.
Let's see how we get on against Coventry this afternoon and see how we stand then. We should win comfortably but this is just the sort of game we could come unstuck in!
One concern I have is that we are winning (and losing) by the odd goal all the time. I'd like to see a 3-0 or 4-0 somewhere to improve our goal difference. That could be a crucial factor at the end of the day.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:16 pm

lazchamp wrote:Good analysis, Zen. The last few weeks have transformed the season into some genuine excitement. I'm feeling confident it will all end up well for Blues fans but you're right; a run of bad results could easily drop us back in the doo-doo's.
Let's see how we get on against Coventry this afternoon and see how we stand then. We should win comfortably but this is just the sort of game we could come unstuck in!
One concern I have is that we are winning (and losing) by the odd goal all the time. I'd like to see a 3-0 or 4-0 somewhere to improve our goal difference. That could be a crucial factor at the end of the day.

thanks lazchamp
absolutely agree about the goal difference two teams below us have better goal difference , two below have the same as us and the bottom four have the worst.
if things get tight goal difference could be the difference between who stays up and who goes down
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:24 am

not the best start to a vital nine points i feel vale will be the toughest of the three .
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:26 pm

another draw town missed the chance to pull further away from Bury and oldham, we could have been four points clear of bury and five clear of oldham and leap froged a place higher up the league . whilst i prefer points on the table Vale have three games in hand win all three and they will shoot up the table , we play them next and out of the three games this is going to be the toughest .
what is frustrating if we had won both games we would be 14th with 47 points and 6 points clear of bury .
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:56 pm

two points from three games against teams below us is not good enough and sees town slide back to the relegation zone , we have blown the chance to be in touching distance instead until the end of the season we are going to be facing teams in the top half of the table some of whom are in play off places , unless we can return to some wining ways at home and away we are only going to be going in one direction down.
Last edited by zenfootball on Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:12 pm

It's been a poor little run. We should comfortably have got 5 or 6 point from the last three games and things are now looking precarious again. It doesn't help that Vale, Oldham and Bury have begun to look a bit more solid lately.
Still that can all change so I'm not writing us off yet!
Both Vale and Oldham have still got to face Bolton, Fleetwood and Sheff Utd and all three of those are likely to be scrapping for promotion points until the last day. Bury have games against Fleetwood and Bolton. Vale play all three of them in their last four games with an away day at Oxford in between - a tough finish for them! So although it looks tough for us till the end of the season, none of the teams around us has an "easy" run-in either.
I can see our last home game against Southend being massive with most of the crowd having one eye on the pitch and one eye on their iPhone! It could easily be the day that decides whether we stay up or go down. Can't wait ...still wound up about the Town after 52 years!
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:20 pm

in our mini league bury and oldham have been getting better results hence our slide from 14th to 20th two back to back defeats by the gills has also seen them slide down the table,things are on a knife edge , if vale win and town draw only goal difference will keep us above them , whilst Bolton are slightly weaker on there travels they will wont to stay in an automatic place after battling to get back there . a Chinese curse "is to live in interesting times" at the moment this is far to interesting !!
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:19 pm

Well done, Coventry! It would have been a shame for Vale to have won and for us to be back in the bottom four.
We might be there anyway on Saturday if Bolton beat us and Vale win. Or it could be Oldham if they lose to Sheff Utd, we get a draw and Vale win by a cricket score.
"Interesting times" indeed, Zen. And I think the tension is going to be with us until the very end. I am still pinning some of my hopes on Vale's very tough run in. Their postponed game against Walsall (Away) has been rescheduled for Tuesday 27 April, sandwiched between Bolton at home and Fleetwood away. Nice!
I think Bury and Oldham will probably be OK; they have become quite hard to beat just lately.
My outside tip for the drop, if not us or Vale, are Gillingham. They have been shipping a few goals. I think Swindon, Chesterfield and Coventry have too much to do now, although we'd very much like Chesterfield to beat Vale!
Uuurgh! I'm not sure I can stand it!!
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:15 pm

there are some many changing variables it can give you brain freeze , it goes without saying but i tend to state the obvious , town need to regain control of there own destiny it is unsettling when you are in a position that you hope teams lose or win to help your team.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:01 am

at a crucial time when town need to be pushing forward we unfortunately appear to be going backwards, if we only base Bristol performance over the last three games were they have won one and lost two against teams around us , on paper we have a chance so it really is up to the player to significantly up there game and start fighting for every ball.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:09 pm

in the relegation zone and swindon one point behind
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:20 am

town continue to sleepwalk to relegation
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:13 am

at the stage of the season the experienced players need to step up ,in the remaining games will town town finish with a roar or a whimper .
zenfootball

Postby matster » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Well results went out way at the weekend. We now sit on equal points with bother clubs but due to GD we are out of the relegation zone. Walsall will have a lot of influence on which teams gets relegated as they play quite a few!
matster

Next

Return to General Chat