Coventry game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Coventry game

Postby zenfootball » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:44 pm

it is hard to believe that such a big club is bottom , they have recently lost to Swindon, Bury and Oldham over the last ten games they have won 1 ,drawn 2 and lost 7,they have lost the last two games , unfortunately Town have a track record of slipping on a banana skin against such teams ,we need another home win to keep the momentum and equally crucially beat the teams around us. who scores first could be crucially we wont to destroy all hope and not give Coventry anything that will lead them to build any confidence .

if we can replicate the attacking flair of the last game and score first we will see how much fighting spirit is left in this team, we need to show a ruthless streak combined with clinical finishing. .
we then face chesterfield and port vale all teams below us. we are going through a phase were a number of teams in the relegation zone and trying to get up the lower end of the table are playing each so, we need to keep moving forward
zenfootball

Re: Coventry game

Postby zenfootball » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:49 pm

it is saying something when towns best player was the keeper two vital saves kept town in the game, the rest of the team did not turn up and at times played like 11 strangers , the forwards had no supply,the midfield was labored, we could not string any passes together,ball retention was poor , Coventry won most of the 50 - 50 balls , so many moves broke down from dreadful passes ,the defense dithered ,failed to clear there lines and at time looked like headless chickens especially in the opening minutes of the second half .Coventry players were allowed too much time on the ball and too much space,we did not press them or close them down nearly enough.
we had three chances whalley got behind the defense and put the ball across the box it just needed a tap in and Humphreys turned the defender to shoot just past the post ,we had a penalty and whilst roberts is an outstanding talent why let the youngest player on the pitch take a penalty, dont we have a nominated penalty taker? Robinson penalty was feeble and the keeper saved it with his feet apart from the penalty i can only recall him making one save.
we badly needed a player to take the game by the scruff of the neck , Coventry were poor and lucky for us that they were as they squandered the best chances of the game with some awful finishing.
this was two vital points thrown away as town go down to 18th .
early in the game a Coventry player was injured and was stretchered off i hope he makes a full recovery.
Last edited by zenfootball on Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
zenfootball

Postby Davidshrews » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:19 pm

Story here about the Coventry player.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3010507/ ... ntry-city/
Davidshrews

Postby zenfootball » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:19 am

http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shr ... bury-town/

i dont share Hursts sview on the result to my mind we cant afford to lose two points against a poor team ,whilst i saw this game as a potential banana skin we badly need some consistency,this game was crying out for a leader and there wasn't one .there are no easy games out of three vital games Coventry have the worst form.
fortunately Bury,Oldham and swindon all lost
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:58 am

It was a shocker! I can see why Hurst reckons a point is a good outcome when you consider that Town could easily have got battered. If Coventry were anything like as effective in the final third as they were on the rest of the pitch they could (should) have scored 2 or 3 goals. I reckon we got away with one, even allowing for Robert's powder-puff penalty! I thought Humphreys would have taken it having got one against Peterborough but what do I know?
It started well with Whalley skinning the full-back and fizzing a low one across the front of the goal. This looks good, I thought. They look open, Whalley in the mood, the full-back on toast.
The injury delay (I'm glad Rose seems OK by the way) seemed to put fight into Coventry and send Town to sleep. They were awful. Only Leutweiler with several terrific stops and Sadler, who was immense I thought, came out of the game with any credit in my opinion. The rest lacked ideas and the ability to pass. Let's hope they've got it out of their systems for the time being. The next two games against Chesterfield and Port Vale are HUGE.
I hope Whalley's injury is not too bad.
Credit to Coventry's fans by the way. I thought they were great.
lazchamp

Postby Bluedog » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:19 pm

First thing Monday morning the players should practise penalties,the position we are in means we can not afford to miss them.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:41 pm

Bluedog wrote:First thing Monday morning the players should practise penalties,the position we are in means we can not afford to miss them.

there were three players having a discussion about the penalty so i wonder have they even got a nominated penalty taker ?
zenfootball

Postby matster » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:15 am

It was stated that Roberts is the nominated penalty taker. Can't believe he missed it , a little mire height in it and we'd have had three points from that game.
matster

Postby zenfootball » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:18 am

matster wrote:It was stated that Roberts is the nominated penalty taker. Can't believe he missed it , a little mire height in it and we'd have had three points from that game.

thanks for that matster
zenfootball

Return to General Chat