wimbeldon game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

wimbeldon game

Postby zenfootball » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Town face a tough test against a team that battles for everything ,after letting in two soft headers we must be tighter as Hurst points out at times they can be direct, town must win to keep a small gap between the chasing pack and hope the teams around us lose or draw.
Wimbledon are slightly weaker on there travels they have won 4 ,drawn 6 and lost 5 they have score 12 and conceded 19.
we know how often former players come back and score so we wont to keep Tyrone Barnett quiet, Wimbledon have to do some reshuffling due to injury.

QUOTES –

Neil Cox (AFC Wimbledon assistant manager): “They’ve been on a good run of form. They’ve had a few good results and it’s going to be difficult. They are behind us and they need to get some points, so I’m sure they’ll come out and attack us. We need to give them a good game. We need to create chances. We’ve worked on the training ground on creating chances and good scenarios and positioning and it’s just our final ball that has been letting us down recently. The players have been working really hard on their final third entries and trying to get some really good quality in the box.

Paul Hurst (Shrewsbury Town manager): “It’s a difficult test. I’ve watched their last couple of games and in the last game against Coventry there was quite a bit of direct play. They’ve got good enough players to hurt you, certainly in the forward areas, but there’s no doubt for me that when you do play against Wimbledon you’ve got to be prepared to compete. There’s lots of direct balls, first phase, second phase and if you’re going to be successful you have to win quite a few of those challenges.”

TEAM NEWS –
Forward Tom Elliott is available for selection again for AFC Wimbledon, having served a one-match suspension. Defender and captain Barry Fuller has been ruled out for a minimum six weeks with a pectoral muscle injury.

On-form striker Freddie Ladapo has recovered from a hamstring injury, trained and is set to be involved for Shrewsbury.
zenfootball

Re: wimbeldon game

Postby zenfootball » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:49 pm

this was a rather strange game ,my view on good refs are when you watch a game and barely know they are there in sharp contrast this ref was over fussy ,frequently wrong and had a big impact on the flow of the game especially the first half ,Wimbeldon are a mixture of direct and skill and very hard to play against ,town struggled to impose themselves on the game, i dont if this was something they had worked on in training but Whalley went for short corners or low diagonale ones .town badly missed ogogo but Deegan worked incredibly hard , the decision making and distribution in the last third was poor ,it was often very scrappy and town did not seem to get going till the last ten minutes,
both teams had goal's disallowed for offside, Wimbeldon hit the post and the bar

Riley went off with a hamstring injury ,things were not quite coming off for town , yates needs to calm down or he will pick up a lot of cards, When Roberts scored from a free kick i wondered did it get a deflection,Leutwiler has saved town on a number of occasions and unfortunately if they make a mistake that is what fans often comment about ,he seemed to let a soft shoot slip through his hands , in the past these are games town would have lost but Hurst has installed a mixture of self belief and resilience for town to score from the best corner of the game , town managed to wind down the last few minutes and gain a very valuable home three points, it looked as if we should have had a penalty but such is life.
apart from a bury win most results went our way as a number of teams around us were playing each other.
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:47 am

I had a bad feeling about this game. I really thought we would lose and on another day we could have quite easily.
Paul Hurst said Wombledon had a "direct" style of play and he wasn't wrong. I thought they were very tough opponents and very strong in the air. That could explain why there were those strange low corner kicks to the edge of the box - training ground moves that didn't work unfortunately!
The people around me were moaning about Leutweiler and their goal. I thought it was a bit soft; he did seem a bit slow getting down to it. But for the moment I will forgive him anything after his amazing save against Scunthorpe last week! The consensus was that he is not the same player since his injury against Grimsby in the Cup last season and Hurst will get rid of him in the summer. We'll see.
The pictures of Roberts' goal on Ch 5 were not very clear even less so when slowed down but I agree, Zen, I did detect a faint deflection. Left their goalie looking a bit silly as he flapped at air!
Given Wombledon's aerial dominance it was extra sweet when Toto headed in at the end. I was soooo happy!! Pleased for Toto too. He's been terrific since he came in and made things really hard for their big No 9. Although he (the No 9) won most of the high balls and made quite a few flick-ons they lacked direction and we were able to win the second ball on the whole. Although there were some hairy moments!!
I won't call it a lucky win because we really scrapped for it (Deegan was immense) but we could easily have come unstuck so a very welcome 3 points.

Superb preview by the way, Zen. Thanks.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:19 pm

lazchamp wrote:I had a bad feeling about this game. I really thought we would lose and on another day we could have quite easily.
Paul Hurst said Wombledon had a "direct" style of play and he wasn't wrong. I thought they were very tough opponents and very strong in the air. That could explain why there were those strange low corner kicks to the edge of the box - training ground moves that didn't work unfortunately!
The people around me were moaning about Leutweiler and their goal. I thought it was a bit soft; he did seem a bit slow getting down to it. But for the moment I will forgive him anything after his amazing save against Scunthorpe last week! The consensus was that he is not the same player since his injury against Grimsby in the Cup last season and Hurst will get rid of him in the summer. We'll see.
The pictures of Roberts' goal on Ch 5 were not very clear even less so when slowed down but I agree, Zen, I did detect a faint deflection. Left their goalie looking a bit silly as he flapped at air!
Given Wombledon's aerial dominance it was extra sweet when Toto headed in at the end. I was soooo happy!! Pleased for Toto too. He's been terrific since he came in and made things really hard for their big No 9. Although he (the No 9) won most of the high balls and made quite a few flick-ons they lacked direction and we were able to win the second ball on the whole. Although there were some hairy moments!!
I won't call it a lucky win because we really scrapped for it (Deegan was immense) but we could easily have come unstuck so a very welcome 3 points.

Superb preview by the way, Zen. Thanks.

Thanks lazchamp
you make a really good point about the strange corners ,in hursts interview after the match he said Toto does not get many goals, so he richly deserves it .
We badly miss ogogo and it is asking a lot of a young player to fill that hole .it was a very welcome three points that keeps us moving forwards.
dont know the extent of rileys injury yet , if it not minor will hurst go with the young lad smith or will Grimmer who has not been on the bench get a run out
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Agreed, Agogo is a big miss. I thought Yates did OK but was a bit headstrong; I'd have preferred to see Dodds filling the gap.
When Riley was lying on the floor waiting for the physio he smashed his fist into the ground in frustration which I took to mean he realised it was quite bad. He was holding his hamstring when he limped off. That said, I thought Dom Smith did OK when he came on so his loss should not be as great as Abu's.
It's strange that Grimmer seems to have fallen out of favour. Virtually all Mickey Mellon's "Players with League 1 experience" summer signings have been sidelined or got rid of now. Hurst has obviously got his own views and I can't really fault his judgement so far.

All good stuff. My wife can't get used to me coming home on match days with a smile on my face!
lazchamp

Return to General Chat