Bury game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Bury game

Postby zenfootball » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:20 am

at one time Bury looked to be nose diving out of the league with a long run of defeats they have pulled things around and have won one and drawn two of there last three games there last two defeats were against Sheffield utd and scunthorpe.

last season fans were posting that on average you need 55 points to stay up so town need a minimum of 26 more points.we drew our last game if we had put the chances away we would be 4 points lear and 1 point behind 18 and 17th place that is how tight things are . nothing less than a win will do town badly need to be getting to a pattern of home wins and a minimum of a draw away.another reason is that after bury we play scunthorpe away they have not lost at home!
town have brought in a number of young players so far they are doing well, we do need to remember they are still learning the game so they will make novice mistakes, it is important to not get on there backs, you would hope they will play with no fear but the older players needs to encourage them, things are on a tight rope but town are playing better and the players have responded to Hurst.
we have more forward options , we have more pace ,we do look thin on the ground in defense.
zenfootball

Re: Bury game

Postby Bluedog » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Our defenders will need to keep a tight grip on their strikers Vaughan and Pope if we are going to get anything from this game,we are now OK up front,but the jury is still out re our back four.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:28 pm

considering the problem we have had with our defense just signing one center back no matter how good he is, this is just not enough ! we look weak down the right and i personally do not rate el abd.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:00 pm

this game took a while to get going in rather a scrappy compressed game . it was 34 minutes before the Bury keeper made a save ,then a solo effort from Whallley forced a good save , Rodman got clear with a shoot on goal and again Whalley this time a volley, town had some half chances but inconsistent passing lead to the breakdown of a number of moves.the ref got a lot of stick but i thought he did ok .

Town lacked some of the fluency we have shown but Roberts made the best possible start as he put town ahead early in the second half., Roberts works hard he tries to work the pockets ,Brown was outstanding , Whalley created problems with his pace and opened up gaps for town to create chances , town had the better opportunities Lapado's header was cleared off the line, when he got towns second to create a buffer this came at the right time as Bury looked to be going up the gears.the last few minutes as town conceded a soft goal whilst he was fouled Leutwiler should have held on to the ball.this led to a nervy last few minutes.

This is a huge win and a vital three points ,we have a long way to go and teams are going up and down like yo yo's but we are four points clear we have climbed up to 18th. the away game against Scunthorpe away will be a test of our progress as they have not lost at home.

things to improve Riley was getting turned far to often and was bailed out by other player who then get pulled out of position , I thought Leutwiler was rather nervous he put two balls in to touch,when under no pressure he fumbled a soft shot and was fortunate not to be punished, he did not deal with a straight forward cross and brown had to bail him out and drooped the ball (i know he was foul but i still think he should have held it) this led to Bury scoring and getting back in the game at the end of the half.in the last few games at home town have had a more flowing game this was less present today

On balance town played the better football and deserved the win,Roberts is a real find Lapado keeps scoring , towns defence managed to contain a forward line that has been scoring a number of goals. however Bury layed out there stall created some problems had some pace and looked dangerous going forward, there defenders were huge so won a lot of the high balls they looked less comfortable when town went down the wing with pace

you have to feel really sorry for our new player Payne he was only on for just over ten minutes( i believe he has recovered from a metatarsal injury) in hurst interview on the radio he said a bury player had landed on his foot, he has an x ray which was clear but at the moment they dont know how serious the injury is, let us hope it is not serious.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:23 pm

seen the goals on tv our first goal was greatly helped by a combination of browns persistence and skill and poor goalkeeping but good for richards confidence he desrverd the goal as he was one of the better players, Lapado keeps his goal scoring run going and Richards was involved with an assist .
seeing the bury goal on tv just confirmed what i thought at the time very poor goalkeeping Leutwiler was slightly impeded there was the mildest of contact and yes in todays game goalkeepers are well protected and i have seen them given for a foul but Leutwiler should have kept hold of the ball.
zenfootball

Return to General Chat