new squad

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

new squad

Postby zenfootball » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:57 am

looks as if we will have a very different squad next season so as new players keep coming at a fair pace , who out of the new players excites you ?
zenfootball

Re: new squad

Postby lazchamp » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:43 am

Yes. it will be a very different looking team that trots onto the pitch in August.
You suggested, Zen, that Town seem to be more willing now to meet players' demands to get these deals done and I think that must be the case. Bluedog reminded us that Leitch-Smith had increased his demands at Port Vale "six-fold" and you'd think Town must have been willing to go some way towards meeting his wishes to get the deal done so quickly. Likewise the other five who won't have come cheap.

Anyway, we now seem to have the spine that was lacking last season (say Leutwiler, Lancashire, Dodds, Leitch-Smith).
Goalies: I'd like to see Burton sign again. If I was Halstead I'd want to look elsewhere to have a better chance of first team football.
Defenders: Lancashire and McGivern look the real deal to me. I'd like to see Dom Smith given an extended run in the team to build up experience and confidence and to learn off two seasoned pros alongside him. He's a valuable asset and needs to build a reputation with a view to sale in a couple of years. Last season he was in and out too much for my liking. Not sure about NKP. A good enough player and can weigh in with the odd goal but I never felt he was a great leader as captain. Brown and Sadler are OK. Tootle - dunno.
Midfield: Looking good. Deegan in front of the back line taking up Ryan Wood's' old position. Agogo, the solid workhorse and unsung hero winning the ball and Dodds and Sarcovic creating and weighing in with 10 goals each (dream on!). Goals from midfield were sadly lacking last season. I think I'm right in thinking that Bobby Grant got 11 for Fleetwood last season. I'd like Weso to stay. I'm not a fan of Black.
Attackers: I suppose we are looking at Leitch-Smith with Mangan or Whalley working off him. I'm sure Collins and Barnett will be moving on - to reduce the wage bill for one thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see another striker come in.

It's all looking pretty good so far. One thing I would like to see is less chopping and changing from MM. When I first started watching Town back in the 1960's pretty much the same XI started every game (I can still name them all 50 years later). It made for consistency of performance. Now I know things are different these days but one of the reasons Burton and Walsall did so well last season is that they had a more or less settled first team who knew and understood each other and the system. I suspect MM realises this and credit to him for drawing up his target list and getting them on board. Credit to the chairman as well for sanctioning some quite high salaries probably!

This is my first XI as things stand (3-5-2):

Leutwiler
Smith, Lancashire, McGivern
Agogo, Deegan, Dodds, Sarcovic, Brown
Leitch-Smith, Mangan
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:40 pm

it looks promising as you say lazchamp i hope Dom smith gets a good run , i dont know about Burton but walsall had 60% of the first team who had played with each other for up to 5 years ,so you have the spine plus a deeper understanding on the pitch,
after 12 games we should have an idea of how this team shapes up.let us hope we have a more solid defense with a midfield that protects the defense and is the springboard for attack
Dodds and sacrovic will give us more options, i share your view of Black lazchamp whilst we need some steel in the midfield in my opinion he is too prone to totally losing it and then you can see it takes him some time to get his head back in the game.
zenfootball

Postby matster » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:21 pm

A good summary of the squad by Lazchamp. The only player missing is a RB. As you gave stated another striker or sorting out Collins' position in the team are essential.
matster

Postby zenfootball » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:56 pm

matster wrote:A good summary of the squad by Lazchamp. The only player missing is a RB. As you gave stated another striker or sorting out Collins' position in the team are essential.

Collins is under contract with us till june 2017 so unless we have an offer and if he does not fit in with MM's plans i would think they will try to put him out on loan, personally i dont think he is good enough for league 1
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:57 pm

lazchamp wrote:Yes. it will be a very different looking team that trots onto the pitch in August.
You suggested, Zen, that Town seem to be more willing now to meet players' demands to get these deals done and I think that must be the case. Bluedog reminded us that Leitch-Smith had increased his demands at Port Vale "six-fold" and you'd think Town must have been willing to go some way towards meeting his wishes to get the deal done so quickly. Likewise the other five who won't have come cheap.

Anyway, we now seem to have the spine that was lacking last season (say Leutwiler, Lancashire, Dodds, Leitch-Smith).
Goalies: I'd like to see Burton sign again. If I was Halstead I'd want to look elsewhere to have a better chance of first team football.
Defenders: Lancashire and McGivern look the real deal to me. I'd like to see Dom Smith given an extended run in the team to build up experience and confidence and to learn off two seasoned pros alongside him. He's a valuable asset and needs to build a reputation with a view to sale in a couple of years. Last season he was in and out too much for my liking. Not sure about NKP. A good enough player and can weigh in with the odd goal but I never felt he was a great leader as captain. Brown and Sadler are OK. Tootle - dunno.
Midfield: Looking good. Deegan in front of the back line taking up Ryan Wood's' old position. Agogo, the solid workhorse and unsung hero winning the ball and Dodds and Sarcovic creating and weighing in with 10 goals each (dream on!). Goals from midfield were sadly lacking last season. I think I'm right in thinking that Bobby Grant got 11 for Fleetwood last season. I'd like Weso to stay. I'm not a fan of Black.
Attackers: I suppose we are looking at Leitch-Smith with Mangan or Whalley working off him. I'm sure Collins and Barnett will be moving on - to reduce the wage bill for one thing. I wouldn't be surprised to see another striker come in.

It's all looking pretty good so far. One thing I would like to see is less chopping and changing from MM. When I first started watching Town back in the 1960's pretty much the same XI started every game (I can still name them all 50 years later). It made for consistency of performance. Now I know things are different these days but one of the reasons Burton and Walsall did so well last season is that they had a more or less settled first team who knew and understood each other and the system. I suspect MM realises this and credit to him for drawing up his target list and getting them on board. Credit to the chairman as well for sanctioning some quite high salaries probably!

This is my first XI as things stand (3-5-2):

Leutwiler
Smith, Lancashire, McGivern
Agogo, Deegan, Dodds, Sarcovic, Brown
Leitch-Smith, Mangan

thanks for the comprehensive break down lazchamp
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:06 am

do we really need another midfielder ? what we need is a proven goal scorer and another center back
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:29 pm

I guess you're referring to Jim O'Brien, Zen.

I thought the same as you at first but he seems to be an attacking midfielder/winger more than anything and MM seems pleased to have got him so maybe we should be happy too.

The Star was hinting that Town may let NKP and Weso go if they don't sign up soon. They have both come back with counter offers apparently. I'm not sure that either of them is in a very strong bargaining position when you look at recent signings and Weso's injury record. Maybe it's the evil influence of agents again.
lazchamp

Postby matster » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:23 pm

https://youtu.be/ICDNfK3d2hw

Goals look pretty good, plenty from outside of the box which us something we have been missing
matster

Postby zenfootball » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:19 pm

i dont mind who scores the goals but we do need a balance, if the star reports are true we might be even lighter in defense if they dont sign. we badly need another center back and a left back as i dont rate Mat Sadler and a forward
compared to last season we are doing a lot better in getting a squad and we have signed some good players.
zenfootball

Postby limacharli » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:29 am

Joe Riley arrives from Bury as a right back that can perform a midfield role as well . Welcome Joe hope your time with us is mutually rewarding
Jimmy Mack when are you coming back?
limacharli

Postby zenfootball » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:09 pm

limacharli wrote:Joe Riley arrives from Bury as a right back that can perform a midfield role as well . Welcome Joe hope your time with us is mutually rewarding

glad we have signed another defender however this might mean we may have not been able to get Grimmer on loan, need another left back and a forward
zenfootball

Postby Bluedog » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:09 pm

Wolves2 Town 2, i see that all the players were used in this friendly but no mention of Collins,anyone know if he has moved on and will we see any more signings.
Bluedog

Postby matster » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:12 am

Rumour circulating about Collins to crawley. But rumours are naturally just that.
matster

Postby Bluedog » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:30 pm

I see that the club has confirmed Collins has left the club,MM says he is looking for another forward.
Bluedog

Next

Return to General Chat