Peterborough game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Peterborough game

Postby zenfootball » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:35 pm

time to gather our collective nerves.
town have one of the worst home records if we lose tomorrow 13 home defeats will be a club record not one any manager or fan will wont .
In contrast Peterborough form home and away is fairly even , there is no mercy in football as they parted with Graham Westley he always struck me as hard working conscientious manager.
not much in it from recent form Peterborough have lost four and won one of there last five games, town have lost three , drawn one and won one.on there travels Peterborough have scored 36 goals and conceded 33, they have the worst discipline record in the league with 104 yellow cards and 7 red cards.
as the season comes to an end all players are in the shop window ,whilst safe and comfortable how will the player react to facing a new manager ? this game is difficult to call and personally the way we are playing at home i would have more confidence if it was away !
MM cant afford another slip up in how he sets up the team i really do not wont it to go the last game .whilst i know he seems to have got in to the role of impact sub i would like whalley to start .we must score first to settle our nerves , everyone knows my views on our defense .

Blackpool v Wigan

Shrewsbury v Peterborough

Crewe v Doncaster

i would be surprised considering how they are playing if Wigan dont beat Blackpool , looking at the games highlight Crewe look totally demoralized so Doncaster should pick up 3 points ,can Walsall do us a favor when they play Fleetwood on Monday?
Last edited by zenfootball on Sun May 01, 2016 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
zenfootball

Re: Peterborough game

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:04 pm

Town need to make a bright start and impose themselves on the game , i really hope MM does not go with the sit back and counter attack strategy .
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:23 pm

this game was nerve shredding to watch , as yet again towns defense turn in a horror show of inept, clueless, schoolboy incompetence .
the number of 40 yard plus runs that went virtually unopposed caused alarm , the free header's , the lack of closing down all contributed to town conceding 3 goals.
towns lack of composure in front of goal and two good saves looked to have doomed town to losing when town turn things upside down and look to have made an amazing comeback 3-3. all towns defense had to do was keep Peterborough out for 7 minutes unfortunately and heart breathtakingly something they could not manage , it had to be taylor the town ex player who gets the winner and everything is undone .this goal came from a combination of poor defending and poor keeping.

Town are only staying up because of the Gillingham result and that both Wigan and Crewe won, i expected Wigan to beat Blackpool , i did not expect Crew to beat Doncaster 3-1
we can relax and be grateful that our staying up did not rely on the last game because i dont think town have a cat in hell's chance of beating Swindon.

whilst we may have poor defenders two of the goals we conceed frequently can be resolved in the training field , dont let players have space and time 20 yards out to shoot and have a player on the back post for corners and crosses, whilst we need better defenders the coaching staff also must take some responsibility .
relived to have stayed up but watching 13 defeats at home is not much fun, seeing a defense who are stuck in groundhog day mode is just frustrating.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Sun May 01, 2016 8:56 am

when the whistle went i did not know whether to laugh or scream with utter frustration ,imagine MM having to wait to hear the finale score for the Crewe game as it had a late start
i should know by now not to post after a game when steam is coming out of ears, town have had a lucky escape according to Stoke Shrew 50 points gave us a 42% chance of relegation.

I think it is only fair to say that town had the brighter start we created chances ,even after the first goal we were still in the game , the amazing fight back deserves a lot of recognition ,i was in a state of disbelief when we leveled the score and thought we could win this, only to have the crushing disappointment of losing 3 minutes in to extra time.

better distribution , more composure and more clinical finishing and this could have been a different score , i lost count of the passes that went behind a running player who had to stop and retrieve the ball, our corners were mainly poor which was disappointing as we had 14 corners .
Blacks challenge was rash and stupid and he deserved a red card , the time wasting were players went down as if poleaxed only to have a miraculous recovery was frustrating .

but we are going to have another season in league 1 .
zenfootball

Postby lazchamp » Fri May 06, 2016 10:58 am

The last 15 minutes were genuinely thrilling. But having got it back to 3-3 I wonder whether we shouldn't have closed the game out, not pushed for the winner. Inviting trouble with a pacy winger like Jon Taylor up against you.

Great to see Taylor again by the way and the way the fans responded to him. During the warm up he posed for selfies with some fans. Nice feller and a terrific player on his day. I thought it was a bit rude of him to score though!!
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Fri May 06, 2016 3:59 pm

it was very rude !! but he did not celebrate excessively which to me shows respect to his former club
zenfootball

Return to General Chat