gillingham game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

gillingham game

Postby zenfootball » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:35 pm

if town dont cut out the sloppy defending we will probably lose, if we go with five at the back we will probably lose , if the midfield play the same way they have in the last two games we will probably lose, if MM plays Vassell and JLAA up front together we will probably lose.if we just go for the long ball we will probably lose.

so it is just as well that town play better away from home as for form neither team are pulling up any trees over the last four games Gillingham have drawn two and lost two, town have drawn one and lost three, Gillingham need a win or they could drop out off the play places ,town need a win to stop dropping in to the relegation zone, this is really down to who wants it most and which manager can squeeze some desire and self belief out of the teams.
to my mind attack is the best form of defense an early goal could silence the fans and put Gillingham under pressure.it is important that town score first and build up some momentum.
best results for town Fleetwood with Blackpool draw and for Doncaster to loose.

Fleetwood play; Blackpool , Walsall and Crewe
Town play ; Gillingham , Walsall , Peterborough and Swindon
Blackpool play ; Fleetwood , Wigan, Peterborough
Doncaster play ; Coventry , Crewe and Burton
zenfootball
 
Posts: 4102
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: gillingham game

Postby matster » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:48 am

Good luck to Shrewsbury today, let's hope we get a decent result.

Possible but doubtful formation:

Leutwiler
Grimmer Whitbread NKP Sadler
Whalley Ogogo Wesolowski JLAA
Kaikai Mangan

It's more likely to have Vassell up front to hold the ball up.
matster
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:06 pm

Re: gillingham game

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:13 am

let us hope that a town player steps up and grabs the game by the scruff of the neck
zenfootball
 
Posts: 4102
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: gillingham game

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:14 am

matster wrote:Good luck to Shrewsbury today, let's hope we get a decent result.

Possible but doubtful formation:

Leutwiler
Grimmer Whitbread NKP Sadler
Whalley Ogogo Wesolowski JLAA
Kaikai Mangan

It's more likely to have Vassell up front to hold the ball up.


after such a public endorsement of Vassell in his radio interview it would be strange if he did not play him.
zenfootball
 
Posts: 4102
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: gillingham game

Postby matster » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:10 pm

That'll mean that he won't play him then!
matster
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:06 pm

Re: gillingham game

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:55 pm

matster wrote:That'll mean that he won't play him then!


You got that right matster
zenfootball
 
Posts: 4102
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: gillingham game

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:34 pm

a nerve shredding roller coaster of a game !
this is an immense win for town,Gillingham were the better team they put town under pressure they hit the bar in opening minutes and for the first 12 minutes it was one way traffic, when in the 16th minute who else but Kai Kai scores from a long range shoot with help from some poor keeping , both teams had chances JLAA had a free header town had managed to weather the storm and silenced the crowd when Gillingham score in the last minute this can give the scoring team a huge boost and be demoralizing for the team who concede.

Town were battered by wave after wave of attacks and could barely get out of the final third.16 minutes in to the second half Mangan scores unfortunately could only hold on to the lead for 5 minutes as gillingham looked for the winner and subjected town to sustained pressure.

Whilst Whitbread was immense in heading the ball away and numerous vital clearances he and Hardy made a number of unnecessary fouls in dangerous area's. Dack is a quality player who is very dangerous as a play maker and from set play. Sadler run himself in to the ground but really struggled against Oshilaja,Leutwiler was the most busy keeper and made a number of crucial saves .town rode there luck as chances from Hesenthaler and McDonald came close.

against the run of play JLAA scores town manage to hold on.

town seem incapable of slowing a game down or hold the ball to just take the pressure off the defense . consider how Dack is the heartbeat of Gillingham and the player maker were most of the balls went to him , it did not sound like town had worked out how to play him as he operated in the hole between the midfield and defense and caused town a lot of problems whilst Wesolawski was picking him up some of the time town rode there luck through the game, stop the play maker you stop a lot of the pressure this did not happen any were near enough.By not reducing the pressure on the defense it becomes mentally and physically exhausting and with a defense who are error prone it is more likely to happen.
i would think town defense were on there knees when they got in the dressing room.

a win that was so vital for town as fleetwood draw with blackpool , with 2 wins and a draw Doncaster are having the best form and are closing the gap, Chesterfield lose and Cholchester are relegated.

this win breaks up a poor run of results ,the next game will be a tipping point for town as we play yet another team in a play off place a team who we struggle against a win against Walsall and we stay up we all know this will be very tough but that is what we need.

right in the last seconds Black was pole axed and was receiving attention as the game finished , i hope it is not serious and they were just been cautious .

for 90+ minutes whilst listening to this on the radio i kicked and headed every ball i jumped up in elation , i have no nails left slumped in despair ,more joy , despair then relief so i am now going to lie down in a dark room,UP THE BLUES !!
zenfootball
 
Posts: 4102
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: gillingham game

Postby zenfootball » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:33 pm

the stats ;

Gillingham Town
Possession 60% 40%

Shots 16 7

Corners 8 2

Fouls 14 23

when you look at these stats it shows how much Town rode there luck.good news about Black .
zenfootball
 
Posts: 4102
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: gillingham game

Postby matster » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:06 am

A great write up Zen. A fab result for Town against a very good team. We've done generally very well over our combined history and in the last 11 meetings we've only lost twice which is almost us being a bogey team for gillingham.

Onwards to Tuesday night and hoping Bradshaw is injured.
matster
 
Posts: 1087
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:06 pm

Re: gillingham game

Postby zenfootball » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:42 am

matster wrote:A great write up Zen. A fab result for Town against a very good team. We've done generally very well over our combined history and in the last 11 meetings we've only lost twice which is almost us being a bogey team for gillingham.

Onwards to Tuesday night and hoping Bradshaw is injured.


Thanks matster
incredibly some of the Gillingham fans are blaming the ref for losing !!!
as you say matster we hardly get time to have a breather before the game with so much resting on it roll on Tuesday.
zenfootball
 
Posts: 4102
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Re: gillingham game

Postby lazchamp » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:58 am

I second that Zen. Great write up as ever. Thanks.

If I'm not at the game (and Mrs Laz has not lined up any jobs for me) I tend to slump in front of Gillette Soccer Saturday with Geoff Stelling and his crew. What a nerve shredding way to follow a game! Especially if Town are in front - your stomach lurches every time the teleprinter kicks into life and then it's just another goal for Stenhousmuir or something. Still it all worked out OK yesterday! What a fantastic result!!

Andy Mangan's post game interview has just been posted on the website. He says the ref wasn't that great so what the Gills fans are on about I can't think. Having seen the goals I did think Abu Agogo used the defender as a climbing frame to get his (superb) header in for Mangan's goal but they should never had had a free kick for their first (what a strike in fairness!) so it all evens out.

It would be lovely to put one over on the Old Enemy on Tuesday and end the agony. When I was driving back from the Bradford game, Radio WM were going on about how Walsall (who had just had a last minute winner) had a realistic chance of overtaking Burton and getting into an automatic promotion place. But getting stuffed at Bradford yesterday has effectively put paid to that idea so maybe they will be feeling a bit deflated.

But part of me would still like there to be something to play for against Peterborough. It will help the atmosphere no end as we follow how Blackpool get on (against Wigan at home) and Doncaster (away at Crewe). (Puts me in mind of the "Great Escape" season of 1968/69 - way adrift at the bottom on 8 April when we went to Northampton and won 4-3 after being 3-1 down at half time to start an amazing 9 game run with the final home game - a night game against Gillingham coincidentally - leaving Town needing a point to stay up. Gills scored quite early and Graham Clapham left it until 90 +2 to drill home the equalizer. Total mayhem and mass pitch invasion at the end with a "victory" presentation of the team in the old main stand. Sorry to go off on one of my reminiscences again but it's these moments that make being a footy fan worthwhile!)

Anyway, things are looking a darn sight better than they were last Tuesday night!
lazchamp
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:25 am

Re: gillingham game

Postby zenfootball » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:51 pm

lazchamp wrote:I second that Zen. Great write up as ever. Thanks.

If I'm not at the game (and Mrs Laz has not lined up any jobs for me) I tend to slump in front of Gillette Soccer Saturday with Geoff Stelling and his crew. What a nerve shredding way to follow a game! Especially if Town are in front - your stomach lurches every time the teleprinter kicks into life and then it's just another goal for Stenhousmuir or something. Still it all worked out OK yesterday! What a fantastic result!!

Andy Mangan's post game interview has just been posted on the website. He says the ref wasn't that great so what the Gills fans are on about I can't think. Having seen the goals I did think Abu Agogo used the defender as a climbing frame to get his (superb) header in for Mangan's goal but they should never had had a free kick for their first (what a strike in fairness!) so it all evens out.

It would be lovely to put one over on the Old Enemy on Tuesday and end the agony. When I was driving back from the Bradford game, Radio WM were going on about how Walsall (who had just had a last minute winner) had a realistic chance of overtaking Burton and getting into an automatic promotion place. But getting stuffed at Bradford yesterday has effectively put paid to that idea so maybe they will be feeling a bit deflated.

But part of me would still like there to be something to play for against Peterborough. It will help the atmosphere no end as we follow how Blackpool get on (against Wigan at home) and Doncaster (away at Crewe). (Puts me in mind of the "Great Escape" season of 1968/69 - way adrift at the bottom on 8 April when we went to Northampton and won 4-3 after being 3-1 down at half time to start an amazing 9 game run with the final home game - a night game against Gillingham coincidentally - leaving Town needing a point to stay up. Gills scored quite early and Graham Clapham left it until 90 +2 to drill home the equalizer. Total mayhem and mass pitch invasion at the end with a "victory" presentation of the team in the old main stand. Sorry to go off on one of my reminiscences again but it's these moments that make being a footy fan worthwhile!)

Anyway, things are looking a darn sight better than they were last Tuesday night!


thanks lazchamp
your nerves must be stronger than mine i just hope we can stay up and the sooner the better,considering our record against Walsall it will be amazing if we get a win but saying that i did not think we had a hope in hell against gillingham. saw the highlights of the Crewe game they have lost 8 of the last 9 games and had 1 draw ,they look like a team who have given up so i would be amazed if they turn Doncaster over.
zenfootball
 
Posts: 4102
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:43 pm


Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 13 guests

cron