Blackburn game

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Blackburn game

Postby zenfootball » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:35 am

Town dominated the first half against a mainly second string Blackburn ,we made the best possible start with an early collins goal, as Blackburn's defense was at sixes and sevens, town were using the diamond with good effect,in contrast to the Millwall game Town played with more intensity and Ogogo was the link up player,personally i thought Barnett played his best game since pulling on a town shirt not just because he scored town vital second goal but for his energy in opening up Blackburn with his runs and vital defensive headers he had a commanding presence on he field . as Town looked to be ready to roll them over a nothing ball made a cruel deflection from lawrence 1-1 however within 2 minutes Barnett scored 1-2

i don't know what MM said in the dressing room but the whole team had a much better performance, however this has to be measured against the opposition which was shockingly poor, unfortunately town took there foot off the gas in the second half , over the course of the game,Collins,Barnett,Ogogo and Martin woods all missed good chances.
Blackburn looked a lot more dangerous after there three substitutions,the main threat came from Frenchman Koita who forced a number off fine saves Town hanged on as Blackburn put them under pressure,town had chances in the second half but failed to put them away.

Town could have been punished for not finishing this game off when they controlled the first half,also town really cant afford to just play one half .I am pleased with the win as i really did not wont Town to start the season with back to back defeats, i hope this will give the players a boost to there confidence
zenfootball

Re: Blackburn game

Postby matster » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:23 am

sounded like a great game on the radio with several goal opportunities that could have landed Town with a far bigger result.

Lets hope we get a great team as the next opposition. Away at a big club? Or home?
matster

Postby zenfootball » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:28 pm

matster wrote:sounded like a great game on the radio with several goal opportunities that could have landed Town with a far bigger result.

Lets hope we get a great team as the next opposition. Away at a big club? Or home?

whilst it is nice to see a big team come to town ,i feel we have to balance this with us in a higher league and town needing to maxamise there revenue.
zenfootball

Postby keithon57 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:35 pm

This sounded a good performance. The diamond formation proved more effective than the flat four midfield employed against Millwall. Shame we couldn't bury some of our many chances and save our fingernails in the last few minutes.

BTW, of 31 ties played on Tuesday evening, 17 were away wins. That has to be some sort of record.
keithon57

Postby zenfootball » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:38 pm

keithon57 wrote:This sounded a good performance. The diamond formation proved more effective than the flat four midfield employed against Millwall. Shame we couldn't bury some of our many chances and save our fingernails in the last few minutes.

BTW, of 31 ties played on Tuesday evening, 17 were away wins. That has to be some sort of record.

town certainty rode there luck football is often not fair but on the balance of play were town were so dominant in the first half we deserved the win.the diamond certainly was a factor in better distribution but Blackburn were very poor.
zenfootball

Postby matster » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:10 pm

A team can look poor because of how the opposition play though. How many times have we watched Shrewsbury be brilliant for a game or two and then play awfully against a weaker team?

Even during a 90 minute match I've seen 80mins of crude from town and then suddenly they start to play properly.

Getting the right formation and squad in the first place is key to giving you a good opportunity of a win.
matster

Postby zenfootball » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:18 pm

matster wrote:A team can look poor because of how the opposition play though. How many times have we watched Shrewsbury be brilliant for a game or two and then play awfully against a weaker team?

Even during a 90 minute match I've seen 80mins of crude from town and then suddenly they start to play properly.

Getting the right formation and squad in the first place is key to giving you a good opportunity of a win.

a fair point matster, last season town made a good luton team look very poor when we played them at home,
it did feel like the Blackburn manager was using the game to see which of his new and fringe players were up to the mark,this was reflected in his post game interview.

Blackburn manager Gary Bowyer:
"We gave players an opportunity and as a manager there are times that all you can do is provide them with an opportunity to stake a claim for a place in the team.
"Some have made it interesting for Saturday and some have made it easier."

however this does not take away from a good 45 minute performance ,a good result and at the end of the day town can only play what is in front of them.
zenfootball

Return to General Chat