Town 1 v Wolves 1 - Friendly

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Town 1 v Wolves 1 - Friendly

Postby keithon57 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:33 am

In the final match of the three home friendly series, Town faced local rivals Wolves, who will be aiming to challenge at the sharp end of the Championship this season. Credit to them for bringing a healthy following, nearly filling the North Stand.

Town line-up:

Leutwiler

Tootle - Goldson - Grandison - Sadler

Junior - Lawrence - M Wood - JLAA

Barnett - McAlinden

So far, it appears that MM is favouring 4-4-2 this season. Perhaps a little surprising, given our success with 3-5-2 last season.

In a very evenly contested first half, Town again conceded a sloppy early goal. On ten minutes, a Wolves corner was nodded goalwards, where their unmarked player diverted the ball home. There was a whiff of offside about it; difficult to tell from my angle. Town equalised around the half hour, when Barnett rose to nod home a corner.

H.T. 1-1

In contrast to the previous two friendlies, MM made no changes at the break. Wolves made a few, including the introduction of local favourite, Dave Edwards, who received a warm ovation from the Town faithful. Town's changes came later: at one stage we had a forward three of Barnett in the middle, Collins on the right wing, McAlinden on the left. Different! Interestingly, McAlinden produced the best cross of the match, firing a low, raking ball across the box, which was very nearly converted.

Leutwiler had little to do in the second period, although he was relieved to see a spectacular overhead kick cannon off the underside of the bar and out. Town's best effort came when Ryan Woods strode forwards and crashed a shot against the bar from outside the area.

Overall, Town can take great credit for comfortably matching supposedly superior opposition. With a little more cutting-edge in the final third, we could easily have nicked it. Barnett was often making little runs, but it appeared that our midfielders failed to spot them.
keithon57

Re: Town 1 v Wolves 1 - Friendly

Postby zenfootball » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:09 am

thanks for the match report, there was a positive write up in the star about the game, we cant afford to concede soft goals so that is something that needs sorting asap. it seems town have had some good performances in the warm ups let us hope they can take that forward to the game against Millwall.
zenfootball

Postby stushrew » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:04 pm

After attending all the pre seasons so far I think we should be strong enough for at least safe mid table in League 1. I also dont envy MM having to pick a starting 11 from the squad as nearly all have shown real positives - it might be tough to keep all of them happy.

It will be interesting to know who the 'fringe players' are that we have that could be moned on to allow JLAA , grando and Patterson to be brought in.
stushrew

Postby zenfootball » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:08 am

i have not been able to get to any pre season friendlies i like to see these games and start getting an idea about the new players, i think after 12 games we should start to get an idea of how town shapes up.

for the last few years things have been very tight in league 1 last season only 15 points separated the team who was 7th and the team who was 22nd.so town must play for the whole 90 minutes and not concede soft goals.
zenfootball

Return to General Chat