areas we need to strengthen

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

Re: areas we need to strengthen

Postby matster » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:38 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Parsons

Eric "Rabbit" Parsons has unfortunately hung up his boots for the last time. ;)
matster

Postby zenfootball » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:11 am

this is rather unfortunate ,in his prime we could do with someone with his style of playing.
zenfootball

Postby matster » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:24 pm

http://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/arti ... 15410.aspx

Gayle has left the building. Bit shitty for him really as he was coming on well.

Good luck with your future Cameron, hope you get sorted pretty sharpish as you deserve a good team to play for.
matster

Postby zenfootball » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:07 pm

matster wrote:http://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/article/cameron-gayle-departs-2515410.aspx

Gayle has left the building. Bit shitty for him really as he was coming on well.

Good luck with your future Cameron, hope you get sorted pretty sharpish as you deserve a good team to play for.

A real shame he was starting to develop in to a useful player.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:38 pm

with Jermaine Grandison, Andy Mangan and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro’s contracts have now expired and the trio are no longer Shrewsbury Town players. there may be a chance of getting in another player, i will miss Grandison and Managan.
zenfootball

Postby matster » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:04 am

Mangan signs for Tranmere, so he'll play in the conference.
matster

Postby zenfootball » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:05 am

matster wrote:Mangan signs for Tranmere, so he'll play in the conference.

i thought we could not afford him and that is why we let him go? unless Tranmere are throwing the cash in attempt to get promoted ,i would assume he is taking a pay cut.
the club seems to be adopting the position that the players are out of contract and will use the money to bring another player,the same rationale was used for releasing gayle.
to my mind i would rather have a proven goal scorer like Mangan and an improving player like Gayle than an unproven player, to my mind a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:28 pm

at last a forward even if he is on loan
zenfootball

Postby JohnG » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:51 pm

There were obvious concerns over Mangan's fitness and previous injuries which have led to the decision. Tranmere were obviously willing to take that risk.

I have no problem with letting him go, served us well in his one season.

MacAlinden now returned on loan, so a decent replacement. Coupled with Collins, Vernon, Barnett, that looks a pretty good forward line.
JohnG

Postby matster » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Hopefully with Vernon scoring three in the ssc game he'll keep on scoring and secure a first team starting place.
matster

Postby JohnG » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:03 pm

matster wrote:Hopefully with Vernon scoring three in the ssc game he'll keep on scoring and secure a first team starting place.

Hopefully as I think Vernon has a lot to offer. He did well in pre-season last year and then got a knock I think and struggled to get back in. I don't think the formation last season suited his strength as without width we needed strong direct forwards such as Collins, JLAA, and Barnett. He's not that type of player.

If we play with more width in midfield (wingers), rather than relying on wing-backs, Vernon should do better. Good service into the penalty area and Vernon will score goals.
JohnG

Postby matster » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Whalley seemed to get several good mentions in the Twitter stream of providingballs across to the strikers.
matster

Postby zenfootball » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:38 pm

i am sorry to hear Demetriou has been let go but i really did not see how vernon was going to cope in league 1 as he was hardly pulling up any trees in league 2 , still feel we are very light on the forward front.
zenfootball

Previous

Return to General Chat