areas we need to strengthen

Chat about anything to do with Shrewsbury Town Football Club

Moderators: Matt_, stushrew, EMShrew, Southern Shrew

areas we need to strengthen

Postby zenfootball » Fri May 22, 2015 3:37 pm

so fans were do we need strengthening or do you feelall the current players are up to playing at league 1.
zenfootball

Re: areas we need to strengthen

Postby matster » Sat May 23, 2015 12:48 pm

Goalkeeper wise we're fine as long as both stay. Burton isn't ready yet.
Defense we have faired well, gained Sadler, but might need a replacement if Grandison goes.
We could do with a goal threat/ creative player to add to CM that would offer a different route for attack to make us a less predictable wing-crossing team.
Competition for rwb/rw, and a lw or left midfielder.
Strikers we have many, but Mangan and JLAA might be off. So obviously we need a replacement if that happens, someone similar to Mangan would be essential.
matster

Postby zenfootball » Sun May 24, 2015 11:54 am

matster wrote:Goalkeeper wise we're fine as long as both stay. Burton isn't ready yet.
Defense we have faired well, gained Sadler, but might need a replacement if Grandison goes.
We could do with a goal threat/ creative player to add to CM that would offer a different route for attack to make us a less predictable wing-crossing team.
Competition for rwb/rw, and a lw or left midfielder.
Strikers we have many, but Mangan and JLAA might be off. So obviously we need a replacement if that happens, someone similar to Mangan would be essential.

A fully fit Mangan is essential for town , i will be disappointed if he leaves whilst i appreciate footballers careers are short and they have to get the best deal they can, we have invested time ,energy and money in him so i hope he signs for us.

personally i don't think JLAA OR Collins are good enough for league one, if we are to pose any real threat up front we need to invest in a better forward.as you say matster we really need something different to our midfield otherwise the better teams will read us. one thing town will seriously have to up there game against teams who will not allow town so much time on the ball or let players have that second or third touch before they are ready.
zenfootball

Postby matster » Sun May 24, 2015 10:04 pm

With the right supply I think Collins would thrive, but multiple long balls or high crosses are not his thing.
matster

Postby matster » Thu May 28, 2015 1:01 pm

Left footed midfielder Martin Woods joins from Ross County in Scottish Premiership. 29 year-old on a two year deal.
matster

Postby zenfootball » Thu May 28, 2015 5:56 pm

on paper Martin Woods looks the kind of player we need a creative midfielder with experience at league 1,i hope we can sign another forward.
zenfootball

Postby matster » Thu May 28, 2015 9:02 pm

matster

Postby zenfootball » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:29 pm

after another midfielder signs i am wondering what strategy /line up MM is going for ? i hope we sign some forwards soon.
zenfootball

Postby stushrew » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:10 pm

maybe a 2 - 6 - 2?
stushrew

Postby lazchamp » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:27 am

In his interview on ShrewsPlayer Mike Jackson says that MM is on his hols (till Thursday if I understood correctly) and then Jacko goes off for a break himself. Maybe we can't expect too much activity during the holiday period. Clubs are still releasing players as well so there may be an element of waiting to see who can be picked up for free.

A forward or two would be good - someone in the Mangan mould to fit in with Collins. Matster's right - long balls and crosses are not his thing but he does react well to loose balls, knock downs and little threaded passes. I think we have enough big and beefy blokes up front now. Interesting to see Lionel Ainsworth doing well against Rangers (apart from getting involved in that dust up at the end!). Someone like him (when on form of course!) would do nicely I think. Or Jack Grimmer - I liked him a lot.

I still reckon we could see Goldson and maybe Woods on their way for a fee.

Talking of releasing players - all the best to Ashley Vincent. I only saw him against Tranmere in the first home game and I didn't think he set the place alight, but I hope he finds a club to suit him better.
lazchamp

Postby zenfootball » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:27 am

lazchamp wrote:In his interview on ShrewsPlayer Mike Jackson says that MM is on his hols (till Thursday if I understood correctly) and then Jacko goes off for a break himself. Maybe we can't expect too much activity during the holiday period. Clubs are still releasing players as well so there may be an element of waiting to see who can be picked up for free.

A forward or two would be good - someone in the Mangan mould to fit in with Collins. Matster's right - long balls and crosses are not his thing but he does react well to loose balls, knock downs and little threaded passes. I think we have enough big and beefy blokes up front now. Interesting to see Lionel Ainsworth doing well against Rangers (apart from getting involved in that dust up at the end!). Someone like him (when on form of course!) would do nicely I think. Or Jack Grimmer - I liked him a lot.

I still reckon we could see Goldson and maybe Woods on their way for a fee.

Talking of releasing players - all the best to Ashley Vincent. I only saw him against Tranmere in the first home game and I didn't think he set the place alight, but I hope he finds a club to suit him better.

whilst i am not surprised to see Vincent go i liked him but as i presume he did not fit in with MM style of play.
i hope we retain Mangan and get another forward.
zenfootball

Postby Bluedog » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:33 pm

If JLAA and Mangan go, I would like to see MM try to get Andy Williams 27 from Swindon he scored 22 goals last season,a bit of a surprise that Swindon have let him go,he plays very like the style of Mangan,there will be a lot of clubs after him,i wonder how long MM has given JLAA Mangan and Grandison to say if they are going to stay or not.
Bluedog

Postby zenfootball » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:53 am

Bluedog wrote:If JLAA and Mangan go, I would like to see MM try to get Andy Williams 27 from Swindon he scored 22 goals last season,a bit of a surprise that Swindon have let him go,he plays very like the style of Mangan,there will be a lot of clubs after him,i wonder how long MM has given JLAA Mangan and Grandison to say if they are going to stay or not.

whilst i hope we can keep Mangan and get another forward, a recent interview by Matt Williams gave a glimpse of the negotiation tactics used by agents, on one hand they are trying to get a big as possible wage packet and the club are looking at what is affordable for the club.it seems a tough juggling act by the club to hold out and wait for the agents to reduce there demands.
zenfootball

Postby zenfootball » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:42 pm

the amount of midfielders we have got is starting to get stupid
zenfootball

Postby matster » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:46 pm

Perhaps one is going?
matster

Next

Return to General Chat